Family

Guest Bet

Hi Ya, I know that moving to Auz is a grand opportunity, got or visas and tickets are booked for 19 February, but what about out family,,,,, its hard ehhhhh.... The world is a small place but its hard, eh. anyone else felt like me......

Guest choobs

Aye, I know how you feel. We have the benefit of having family already in Oz, who are sponsoring us and looking after us for the first few weeks. My father is making a big deal out of it ('we'll never see you again'), but really - although flights are expensive, the world is a much smaller place than it once was.

On top of this, add the possibility of keeping video diaries on a camcorder, burning them to DVD and sending them across. There's also audio/video chat with the likes of instant messenger.

I have to admit, though, that I'm planning to take the opportunity to make a NEW life. My wife, children and I are looking forward to integrating with society, making friends and becoming australian. We're looking forward, not back.

Does any of that make sense?

My thoughts exactly. Now we have great jobs offered and are in a position to live a very comfortable life out in Perth rather than struggling in London with houseprices, not to mention the tube, bombings and weather. However, it means going it alone and leaving behind both of our families including nieces and nephews. I'm not sure I can do it!!!!

I know what you are saying, up until a few weeks ago I was walking on air, and then my dad died suddenly two weeks ago, has really screwed my head up but have decided that I am defo going to go to Auz don't know what I will feel like when I get there, only time will tell, and hey you can't miss out on chances like these when you get offered them could I live with that question what iff??? no. just have to make sure that I get my mum out to visit as much as possible.

Guest fantasy tan

Hi my name is Sam, this is my story so far. I announced to my family that we where having our medicals in Feb so our move to Brisbane was getting closer. We received our visa(hooray). We where looking at moving in Aug 05 to get used to the heat, if possible before the summer and get the girls into a school before the Australian school holidays started and hopefully they would make friends and that theycould meet up in the holidays. Simple.Oh no my sister announced(Feb 05) that she was expecting her first child in Sept. So we still made plans then in April she hit me with I can't believe you are still going you won't be here for the birth, crying etc then my Mum was saying why can't I stay for the birth etc. So anyway we could not sell our house so we are still here, not by choice. We are going to rent our house out, we are now looking at flights for mid Oct 05. My Mum is buying a villa in Spain & will be away for 3wks sorting out the paper work I mean how long can that take, 26th Sept onwards, I think she is playing mind games, she is trying to stall me, probaly hoping that I will see the new baby and won't beable to leave.I have two girls already I can have a baby of my own. My family are making it hard for me. I don't think there can be a right time to go. In Nov it is my daughters birthday, then Christmas.We have to go by the 10th Jan 06. Our visa will run out and I can't go through that paper work again and the waiting. I think you have to be quite strong willed and quite hard at times. My Mum and sister sometimes give me the strangest looks when I speak about Australia likes it's a dirty word. Even when my children talk about the things they are going to do when they arrive, my Mum does not like it she would probaly like it if I had to pull them kicking and screaming from her arms. May be I am being to hard but they are not making it at all easy. And it is not going to be easy. What I am going to do is video all the places that used to be nice when I was younger because they have gone down hill, the road I used to live down used to be lovley now it looks like small war zone burnt out old cards & all the things that make me want to leave & give my kids a better safer future. :roll:

8)

God seems like you have had a right time, stick to your guns and remember why you and your wife are doing it. I must admit, my family have totally supported me when i annouced the decision, although my mum was pretty upset (she has a sister in Canada and knows how things will go!), I spoke to my dad two days before he died to tell him that I had booked my ticket 19 Feb (to Bangkok for a month) and then on to Melbourne 20 March, his exact word were "fantastic, get on that plane and don't look back". Just feel like I am deserting my mum at time of need, but then hopefully she will be feeling a lot beter in 6 months when we leave, all i have to talk her into now is to pack up the house and come for a few months to auz when its british winter weather.

All the best

We should take some comfort in the fact that the people around us don't want us to leave and that's why they are acting that way. They'll miss us too much - which is better than having no one care.

Guest Steve G

There is never a "good" time to leave your family and move to the other side of the world. There will always be a reason not to go but you have to focus on the reasons you want to go.

To me, my family is myself, my wife and my kids and I will do everything I can to do what is best for them. It will be hard leaving both sets of parents and siblings behind but I am looking at improving our standard of living and giving my kids the best start possible.

We can always come back to visit, and they can come and stay with us whenever they want to, and remember - absence makes the heart grow fonder!! :wink:

Guest Daceys

My dilemma that has developed the past 2 days!!

Originally 4 months ago my wife and I, our daughter aged 11 months, a daughter of my wife's whom I have adopted aged 6 and 2 step-daughters aged 12 & 13 planned to migrate with the blessing of my step-daughters father!! :lol:

2 months on, step-daughters father changes his mind and starts proceeds to prevent my step-daughters from leaving the country and now wants residency.

6 weeks on father manages to manipulate the girls to "no way are we going to Oz" :(

My wife decides to give Oz a go and grants the wishes of the girls to live with their father in the hope that they will realise what a massive mistake they may make before we go. :?

2 weeks on my wife decides that she cannot leave her 2 girls behind and pulls the plug on herself, my daughter and my adopted daughter leaving our process in complete pieces. :cry:

It's my dream to live in Oz, we've paid our agency fees, skills assessment and my head is firmly where the sun doesn't shine. Visa not through but it will be here one day. I'm 39 and not got long. The future for us all was Oz

and I don't know which way to turn!! :(

Guest fantasy tan

Thanks for your replies I feel better knowing most people are going through the same thing or even worse. It is one of the hardest things I will ever have to do but I am going to do it, it will be worth it in the long run. To Daceys why don't you take your family on a holiday the girls will love it, carry on with your application, because in the long run you will beable to give your family more opportunities in Australia, the education system is much better than ours, where you have to pay for it or live outside the good schools doorstep. They may not thank-you straight away but they will come around, especiaaly when they are on the beach having surf boarding lessons, I think that will take their minds off what their Dad says to them. I can understand that he does not want his girls to go I would be the same but you are taking them to a place where they can really excell the opportunities are unlimited and the lifestyle they will have you could not compare unless you are already millionaires and can go on holiday when ever you please ect ect. So good luck keep on going with the application the Dad may be calling your bluff, and you do not want to waste this opportunity.

We are looking at flights in Oct05. I am getting in touch with the removal company today to see when they can ship our belongings, I have already had them around for a quote. The letting agents have got a few people who would like to look at our house, so if somebody wants to rent it we will have to vacate. I have got loads to do, I have already had one clear out. I have got to do the loft which I am not looking forward to. Better go sorting paper work out today.

Sam :lol: :oops: color=blue][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Daceys

Thanks F.T.

I feel there's going to be a lot more twists and turns with our dilema.

Our next plan is to carry on with the application with the 2 eldest girls staying on the visa, then, hopefully when we have the visa issued next year, I will hold out for as long as possible then move over with our 2 youngest, my wife and 2 eldest will come with us for a 5 week holiday then my wife and 2 eldest will return to England. All visa's will then be validated. For the next 2 years, my wife and I will be apart and will have direct contact during holidays, whether we return to the UK or they return to Aus.

Not the best situation [for now] but we are so determined that our life is to be lived in Aus.

When the 2 eldest finish high school, my wife will then join us and then at least the 2 eldest may have the option to move with their mother or stay in the UK.

It's going to be so difficult for both parties, especially the 2 youngest but we feel that this is a solution for us and it will be worth it for the medium to long term future of our children.

Guest Sunshine

Daceys, this is a difficult situation, and not one to which there is an easy answer as you have already discovered. I think you're right to carry on with the application and keep all the doors open, as things and feelings can change very quickly.

Families are always difficult to deal with, especially if they don't want the same things as you! When our time came to tell parents we were going to Oz, the in laws were very supportive as they hope to move over themselves in the next few years, but my parents had a very different reaction. My dad was all for it, even though he said he would hate to loose us, he could see that it was the best thing for our future. But my mum refused to believe we were actually going until almost the last minute when we waved goodbye at the bus station. She was convinced my husband had "made me do it".

So whatever you all decide be prepared for a bumpy ride!! Good luck everyone.

Sunshine.

Archived