Renting in Perth - Not so far out - 20 minutes max

erincowell

When we get to Perth this year (poss June/July) we need to look at schools. The ones we are considering are considered to be the top 10 (well as far as reviews etc go) So... Rossmoyne , Willeton, Perth Modern etc. My 14 year old son is Gifted&Talented so have looked into the entrance details and also schools that might be best fit for him - on paper at least. BUT you have to see a school to know - don't you?

So we want to rent somewhere that is not too far out od Perth so we can look at the schools and houses in these areas.

SO.... any suggestions about suburbs to rent ( not the mega $$$$ ones though) that would be closer in to Perth. I saw lots of rentals in Canning Vale for example as it is a not too far out. BUT I can't get a clear idea if this is an OK place to rent or which suburbs would be reasonably( in the middle) priced and accessible and ok places to be:wacko:.

Well, Canning Vale is a great place to live - close-ish to Perth, good facilities, safe area. But you really need to be here and physically see the areas, inspect and choose what feels right for you. I would suggest you get a temporary rental, short term, and spend the time intensively investigating the areas. As for schools, the more popular the school, the higher the cost of housing and more difficult it is to get a rental, because the admissions are restricted to those who live in the cachement area. Private schools do not have to be very expensive, but there is also a waiting list, and that list can be very very long.

Do have a look at REIWA for rentals, and also the education website for WA. One area you might not have considered, but is well worth a closer look, is Bibra Lake/Coolbellup/South Lake - good access to Kwinana Freeway and Perth north, closer to Applecross, not too far from Rossmoyne and Willeton. Rentals available and not too highly priced. South Lake is not so nice, but is affordable.

Well, Canning Vale is a great place to live - close-ish to Perth, good facilities, safe area. But you really need to be here and physically see the areas, inspect and choose what feels right for you. I would suggest you get a temporary rental, short term, and spend the time intensively investigating the areas. As for schools, the more popular the school, the higher the cost of housing and more difficult it is to get a rental, because the admissions are restricted to those who live in the cachement area. Private schools do not have to be very expensive, but there is also a waiting list, and that list can be very very long.

Do have a look at REIWA for rentals, and also the education website for WA. One area you might not have considered, but is well worth a closer look, is Bibra Lake/Coolbellup/South Lake - good access to Kwinana Freeway and Perth north, closer to Applecross, not too far from Rossmoyne and Willeton. Rentals available and not too highly priced. South Lake is not so nice, but is affordable.

I have done quite a lot of research on the web. Have seen the whole catchment area / cost of housing status. I am not looking to rent in these areas just somewhere closer in to Perth that means I can get around more easily to do the leg work investigating various schools and suburbs in the flesh. If the school is right then I will look at renting/buying to suit then. Just need a "nice" base that allows us to scoot around easily to look at the schools and suburbs.

I have been in communication with the WA education department for a couple of months now and looked at th schools catchments etc etc. I will have a look at Bibra Lake and Coolbellup - thanks.

Do you know what the average sort of time it is from Canning Vale to CBD?

I also have had a brief look at Private schools but even harder to judge those. Do you have any views (I appreciate everyone has a different experience and view when it comes to schools and suburbs) but all views are welcome for me.

Thanks for your info

Travel time varies hugely. During rush hour, the South Street to Kwinana Freeway is stop/go, takes forever, and the freeway is anything but free. I would take an hour to go from Bibra Lake to CBD. Travel 30min earlier, and you are there in half the time. Parking in town also much easier if you go early. You could - should - drive to one of the rail stations. Free parking (if you get there early enough - never seem to be enough spaces) and a cheap ride in when you can read the paper. Takes 15min if that.

Off peak hours, and it takes 25mins from Canning Vale. Or quicker.

You (I) could bike from Bibra Lake to CBD - took 55min going slow (the panniers were not streamlined) and was a pleasant ride on both directions, going along freeway mostly. I would NOT do that along South St. Office buildings often have showers and lockers for cyclists.

Private schools - I went to Scotch College, can recommend them highly. But there are loads. Near us is the Carey Baptist, school results do not shine as much, but they offer excellent facilities and great teachers. Less than $5k pa fees IIRC.

Perth Modern is one of the best, has to be said. Hale is excellent, also Christchurch Grammar. Horrendous fees though. Wesley ... look, they are all great and you have seen the results. Those waiting lists will demand your offspring be registered before conception.

Travel time varies hugely. During rush hour, the South Street to Kwinana Freeway is stop/go, takes forever, and the freeway is anything but free. I would take an hour to go from Bibra Lake to CBD. Travel 30min earlier, and you are there in half the time. Parking in town also much easier if you go early. You could - should - drive to one of the rail stations. Free parking (if you get there early enough - never seem to be enough spaces) and a cheap ride in when you can read the paper. Takes 15min if that.

Off peak hours, and it takes 25mins from Canning Vale. Or quicker.

You (I) could bike from Bibra Lake to CBD - took 55min going slow (the panniers were not streamlined) and was a pleasant ride on both directions, going along freeway mostly. I would NOT do that along South St. Office buildings often have showers and lockers for cyclists.

Private schools - I went to Scotch College, can recommend them highly. But there are loads. Near us is the Carey Baptist, school results do not shine as much, but they offer excellent facilities and great teachers. Less than $5k pa fees IIRC.

Perth Modern is one of the best, has to be said. Hale is excellent, also Christchurch Grammar. Horrendous fees though. Wesley ... look, they are all great and you have seen the results. Those waiting lists will demand your offspring be registered before conception.

Thank you so much for all the info. I will just have to cross everything and hope something unexpectedly good comes up (schools that is). It is all so crazy this school entry situation. So generally the private schools are all great? Talking about pre-conception , after having dicussions with the GATE people - I would have had to plan pre-conception, foresee the economic gloom in UK and the demise of the UK housing market and then time a house sale and move to the exact time that the entry exams take place. Who knew there were so many gifted children out there. A year or more to wait to get into a school seems like a crazy thing to do if you are trying to support the G&T pupils. Hey it is just as crazy as the UK!

I have given up trying to find a FURNISHED house - the choice is so limited and the quality seems so much lower. Will have to try and put off flight to coincide with worldly goods arrival.

Off to a dark room for another bit of calm time.

Archived