Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mrchris76

  1. EDIT: I went with Downunder Insurance (http://www.duinsure.com.au) in the end, they offer a non-resident outbound travel insurance policy which was exactly what I needed. Not the cheapest but then it is pretty much comprehensive and not a budget policy. Hi All, Myself and my wife are moving back to the UK after 3 fantastic years in Sydney. I have a travel insurance related question I am hoping someone may be able to help out with, we are doing some travel on the way back via Canada instead of heading directly home. I have been looking to get some travel insurance but the UK based ones require the policy holder to have lived in the UK for the previous 6 months (the ones I have seen so far anyway). The alternative is to use an Australian based insurer but I'm wondering if there would be a problem in the event of a claim, seeing as our 457 visa would have been cancelled after departing Australia. Others must have faced this I would have thought, any advice or suggested insurers either in the UK or Australia we could try? Thanks! Chris
  2. mrchris76

    Travel insurance and moving back to UK

    So far I have found these two that will offer cover: http://www.duinsure.com.au/sites/duinsureaus.nsf/PagesBySection/Policies_Other http://www.insure4less.com.au/
  3. mrchris76

    Travel insurance and moving back to UK

    Yes, called a number of companies already. Unfortunately only one so far offers what I need (just a bit pricey!). Turns out what I am looking for is called "non-resident one way outbound travel insurance". Not a lot of choice it seems. Most require journey to either start and finish in Australia or that I am an Australian resident, which I won't be soon as my 457 is cancelled leaving the country. I'll keep looking and calling.
  4. Hi all, Myself and my partner are both from the UK and are living in Australia on a 457 visa. We are going to Croatia to get married in September, and returning to Sydney afterwards. We are now sorting out some of the required legal paperwork to get the relevant cert to get married. We have been told that we have to place an advert in a local daily paper for 7 days using specific wording about our intention to get married and then sending copies to the British High Commission in Canberra :confused: (seems crazy, but true) so we just called up Sydney Morning Herald and are absolutely stunned as we have been told this is going to cost us around $2000 :cry: to run a teeny tiny advert for 7 days. Thats insane! There must be another option.... Its all to do with getting married in a non-commonwealth country it seems. Has anyone here ever done what we're trying to do? Hoping someone can offer advice, I will be trying to get hold of someone at the British High Commission too.. no idea how easy that will be... Thanks in advance! Chris & Amanda
  5. Meant to add this relevant link -> http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-australia/notice-intend-marriage