New! Moving to Sydney in Aug

Guest kayleigh

Guest kayleigh

Hi there,

I am moving to sydney in Aug to work as an au pair, just wondered if anyone has any advice for me? esp about getting a mobile and bank accounts ect.

Also i don't know anyone in oz so would love to make some new friends. I'm currently living near Brighton

Thanks guys

Hi Kayleigh, firstly welcome to PIO which is a fantastic forum where we are all friendly and like one big huge family, we are heading for Sydney when we get our visa which will hopefully be in the next 8 weeks. I have just got back from 10 days in Sydney and it is an absolutely amazing place and cant wait for us all to move there. Prices of food etc arent as bad as some people make out if you are willing to shop around which is what i did for the time i was out there, cant help you with mobile prices but they do vary for what i got a glance of and i think they range from $49 and up per month which i think isnt too bad and that is with Vodafone but not sure what the tariffs are for that but i do not you can get free mobiles with them. We will be moving out nearer the country as we dont do city living and i experienced the city living when i stayed at the travelodge slap bang in the city centre, but hubby did that so as i was near all amenities just for the duration of my stay to make it easier for me. Feel free to ask more or pm me if needed but you will probably get others reply with more info than me as there are already some in Sydney from poms especially Koala12, i visited her while out there and she was wonderful. Good Luck with everything too :cute::v_SPIN:

Guest Rachel83

Hi Kayleigh

Welcome to PIO! I've been in Sydney just over 3 months now and loving it, I've also been using this site to meet new friends here! We've just arranged a meet up for the girls in Sydney round here and hopefully we'll make it a regular thing, so once you arrive you're quite welcome to join us all. Or if you fancy a coffee or whatever I'm always up for meeting new people! Do you know whereabouts in Sydney you'll be?

As for your queries I found that the pay as you go options with Vodafone over here a great value, and mean that you're not tied to a contract. I got a bog-standard phone for the equivalent of about 35 pounds. If you credit your mobile with $30 (about 15 quid) you get a choice of freebies, for example I get 60 free texts and 100 minutes to Vodafone mobiles after a 20cents connection fee. This kind of credit normally lasts me a month or so, definitely a lot less than I was spending per month on an Orange contract back home!

Bank accounts I found a bit strange when I arrived, there is generally a monthly fee ($3 in my experience) for the privilege of using ATMs, and even then there is no 'LINK' system so you can only use the ATMs for your own bank for free. Other than that though I think there are less fees etc so I guess it rounds itself out. I'm with the NAB (National Australia Bank) and haven't had any problems, but I'm sure there are plenty of other PIO members out there who have been here longer and will be able to give you further advice about banking here.

I hope that's helped a little bit. Feel free to PM me if you want any more help, or if you just want somebody to chat to

:jiggy:

All the best with the move!

Rachel

Guest koala12

Hi Kayleigh

I'm in Sydney as Lynne has already mentioned! Re bank accounts, we are with Commonwealth Bank of Australia but there are plenty of others and I guess they are all similar. Mobile phone - depends on whether you want contract or pay as you go - if you have an unlocked mobile phone you can bring it with you and just put in a new SIM as the 'phones here are pretty much behind the times!

Let us know how you get on and when you're here...

Karen

Guest koala12

Re Bank Accounts, Commonwealth Bank of Australia also open accounts for you in England with one in Australia and you can transfer money between the two - the one in England is kept open for 2 years in case you need it....

Karen

Guest Rachel83

oooh wish I'd known that about HSBC and the Commonwealth bank before I opened an account at NAB. Good advice guys!

Archived