Which suburbs in Melbourne are best for young family?

zephyr

Hi all,

We are a family of 3 with a 10 month old boy looking to move from Perth to Melbourne in the next 6 weeks. My OH expects to be working in the CBD and would need to be able to travel to work by train. Can anyone recommend suburbs that would be suitable? And which are the suburbs to avoid? Any help would be gratefully appreciated :smile:

Zephyr

Guest Guest62757

It really depends on what your budget and expectations are.

Most of the suburbs are family friendly in Melbourne.

If you like the beach (noticed you're in Joondalup, lovely beach there!) then look at the Sandringham and Frankston trainlines - you can google them and you will see which suburbs are on them. Anywhere on the Sandringham line tends to be VERY expensive but lovely areas. The Frankston line covers places like Cheltenham, Mentone, Parkdale, Mordialloc - I live in Mentone and it's lovely. I have an 11 month old and I can get to plenty of classes for her such as swimming, Gymbaroo etc.

Thanks for your info on the suburbs DBC. Funnily enough we have been looking at Mentone because I've seen a job advertised there! We've also been checking out Glen Waverley and it's surrounding suburbs too. I'm glad to hear that you aren't finding difficulty getting out to classes for your 11 month old as I'll be looking to do that straight away if possible. You never know, we might end up just up the road from you!

Hi, we live in Mordialloc/Parkdale - next areas up the line from Mentone, they are incredibly family friendly areas, every other house has school age children and there's so much for kids to do, our kids are so busy we all get exhausted!

BB

Archived