Living costs in Tasmania

Guest Derden

Hi all,

I've been offered a Job and tempory visa in Devonport Tasmania. My salary would be in around 70K AUD. What type of standard of living would i expect to have with this salary. There is myself, My Partner and our 2 year old son.

Anyone know what devonport is like?, Is it a nice place to live, bring up a family? Is there much to do there? Are the schools/childcare any good?

Thanks,

Derek:wink:

Hi all,

I've been offered a Job and tempory visa in Devonport Tasmania. My salary would be in around 70K AUD. What type of standard of living would i expect to have with this salary. There is myself, My Partner and our 2 year old son...Anyone know what devonport is like?, Is it a nice place to live, bring up a family? Is there much to do there? Are the schools/childcare any good?...Thanks,..Derek

Hi Derek: Welcome to PIO. I've driven through Devonport a few times, it's pretty well north-central overlooking the Bass Strait, but have never shopped or had to really spend time there. We are presently at the other end of the state south of Hobart, but in the process of moving to our first home, away from the coast bwtn Glenorchy & New Norfolk. $70K sounds good, certainly for a 1st job! But depends what you are used to?! Does it include SUPER, or is that Xtra? Are there any other perks, like health insurance?? What are the restrictions of this Visa?

Tas is probably a bit like Devon in many respects, rolling countryside, lovely beaches, lots of fresh air with even more in the way of true Wilderness & abundant wildlife - check out my profile for lots of pictures N-S! Also has tourism, so some 2nd homes for wealthy Mainlanders, but generally below average wage, maybe for Islanders (Avrg is supdsly around $84K)- but we enjoy a more rural, temperate, easy-going lifestyle... Devonport Burnie has a pop of 80,241 industries based on lumber, docks, agriculture…

Have you ever visited OZ, & I guess you’ve not been to TAS? It doesn’t say where you're from so I have no point of reference. If you haven’t checked here already, you might like to follow this link: Devonport Regional Gallery - EDUCATION If you are looking for a great experience, a Lifestyle change then consider the Visa as a unique opportunity - it's NOT a life sentence!! It could be a grt jumping off point or just a once in a lifetime thrill...

My suggestion always is to start out with a LIST of Whys, Wants, Desires, Needs – what are you looking for in a relocation? What is really important to you & your family, what do you long for that you don’t have in your present LIFE, what is important to you all to survive? If you’re looking for a change – then from what to what?! Then start your research & see how many matches your chosen area/s meet. If your MAIN criteria for moving to OZ is to fry on the beach, then I’d suggest you go further North, like Cairns, or Brissy areas, if you really appreciate the Seasons, & a very relaxed easy-going lifestyle, then Tas might be more to your liking… If you are used to living in Town, then maybe Devonport will be fine, but if you come from a small village, rural area then you can live out of the city & it wouldn’t be too far to commute. There are some lovely beaches along that coast, easily accessible & not as exposed as the Eastern coast. The thing is you can live a much simpler life here, if you are feeling at all overwhelmed by the Grass is Greener syndrome or fed-up keeping up w/the Jone's, then Tasie will be blessed relief - however, if you really want a Jet Set flashy Lifestyle, Tass will probably be disappointing unless you buy a yacth...of course there'd be plenty to choose from! :biglaugh:

If any of this appeals, there are plenty of web sites to xplore, or just click on my name & pm me & I’ll be happy to assist where I can… Although I am busy with cleaning & packing @ the mo - what sort of job & for when???!

Cheers X

thanks for the reply herbster however we have decided against the job offer. A bit about us, we are from waterford, south east waterford. We both work for honeywell. The job offered to me would of been working as an enginner in the paper mill close to devonport. The reason why we decided against it is because we felt my partner might find it hard to get work in such a small place. So we will keep our eye out for another posistion within honeywell, maybe in brisbane or melbourne. Thanks again for the reply

thanks for the reply herbster however we have decided against the job offer. A bit about us, we are from waterford, south east waterford. We both work for honeywell. The job offered to me would of been working as an enginner in the paper mill close to devonport. The reason why we decided against it is because we felt my partner might find it hard to get work in such a small place. So we will keep our eye out for another posistion within honeywell, maybe in brisbane or melbourne. Thanks again for the reply

Ok Darrren: No worries - is that the Waterford in Ireland? Or some suburb of some Great city I'm not sure about? May be if it is Eire, you might quite like Tas, with the clean air, empty beaches, 4 seasons it might not feel so unfamiliar - excepting for the distinct lack of rain! Oh and the copious amounts of sunshine, and the trees!

However, I can understand your reservations at working @ the pulp mill - I don't know if that's what you do at present - but working for Honeywell I have my doubts! To be honest they do stink, pulp Mills not Honeywell! There were lots of mills - well at least several in Northern Michigan & Wisconsin & it wasn't a very nice odor that emanated from them (if you've never smelt it, you might not be so impressed!), & to be honest there is a lot of controversy with the Mill there, especially if it's Gunns, so depending which way the political winds are blowing job prospects could be effected... If you had the option, I'd say Hobart is a much more attractive proposition for a young family, but if you are looking for more heat & something more tropical, then obviously venture further north on the Mainland!

But honestly, - it will really help if you can identify what it is you guys want & require from a move & then see which area best matches, it might not be OZ at all, & then try finding work in those areas. Honeywell's a massive company, (didn't they do stuff withe the Space Shuttle???) I would have thought there are job ops all over the place, not just OZ? Always beware the temp visa situation, unless you really do just want a means to get out here for a couple years & just take the experience for what it is... Whether you settle or not, will love it or hate it or just find it's another place to live, has to depend on Expectations, Research & how adaptable you are - but in any event, seeing some other part of the world & living that Life has to count for something? So far as we are concerned it's a great experience, we've been places, met people & know things that we didn't a year ago... So I wish you all the best and hope you guys find what you are looking for... Where ever that may be...

X

Archived