Life in SA?

Guest elsa215

Guest elsa215

:D hi everyone. in the process of applying to immigrate to South Australia. Hope to get gov sponsorship. Has anyone any tips when filling in the forms on line also any info from fellow poms in South Australia. Whats it like etc. Are jobs easy, is it easy to settle down. How bad is the home sickness? 8)

You need to get the relvant form form the relevant goverment. We applied under goverment sponsorship with state of Victoria, all you need to have before hand is confirmation that you trade has been recognised, as they as for this reference on the form.

• 2 months later...
Guest Sunshine
: Whats it like etc. Are jobs easy, is it easy to settle down. How bad is the home sickness? 8)

Hi Elsa.

I can only answer the last bit of your question, about settling down and homesickness.

It depends on you as an individual how easy / quickly you settle. I think if you go with a positive, can do attitude you will be fine, I didn't go with this attitude and I really struggled to settle into Ozzie life. I suffered from homesickness really badly, and have only now a year on started to feel more settled and like I want to stay here.

I went through most of the 5 stages of "culture shock" and its really hard to keep going and come out the other side, but you can do it! Just remember if you think you're going to be homesick just try and go with as much positive karma as you can, its a real roller coaster of emotions!

Sunshine

• 2 years later...
Guest sazzle76

Hi Elsa.

My OH is starting his 175 application - we are gathering all info we can regarding his panel beating apprenticeship as the TRA who do the skills assessment do not recognise NVQs arrrrggggghhhhhhh!

From reading loads on here, (look up bolton2brisbane they wrote some very interesting stuff..) I think I personally am going to start a list of reasons why I want to go.. better life for my two boys 2 and 7months, better weather, better socially, fuel prices etc etc, I will keep adding to the list and will refer to it when we hopefully get to oz and get homesick! I reckon I will then do a list of why I want to come back to the UK and compare them.

I think everyone wants to come back at some point but Im expecting that and the emotions are already here regarding it. However, if its been on you mind for a while and you know its the right thing to do go for it!

We have seen a lot of oz but couldnt get closer to Adelaide than Blanchtown coz of footy finals. It was very rural ;o)

How far into the visa process are you?

Sal

Hi

Can't help you with the visa stuff, but I've been in Adelaide now for nearly four years. Someone said to me at the start that it takes about 18 months before you start to feel settled, and I think she was just about right. As Sunshine said, it's a lot about attitude - I have found the people here really friendly, so you just need to keep a positive attitude, and on the days when the 'downs' hit you, force yourself to get out for a walk on the beach, in the park, a coffee with friends (keep an eye out on all the Adelaide forums for social get togethers and go along if you can) or have a read of the International Express - that usually reminds me how jolly lucky I am!! In my opinion, probably the worse thing you can do if you're feeling low is sit at home on the forums reading other people's gripes! Any questions I can help you with, fire away!

Diane

Archived