Considering a move to OZ.!! Advice greatly welcomed !

Guest josiejo2007

Guest josiejo2007

Hi

I have recently joined this site as my hubbie and I are looking into possibly emigrating to Oz. I spend hours reading all the posts and wondering if we could be brave enough to make the move. I am a Primary school teacher, which is not on the SOL list. My hubbie is self-employed, focussing on property maintenance and wet plumbing- bathrooms etc. We have 3 children, 11, 9 and 3. As I said we are only considering our options at the moment,. We have had an initial assessment with a migration agent and he has told us there are ways to proceed. We have an appointment next week to see him in a personal consultation so I guess we will find out more then.

I was just wondering if there are any Primary teachers over there from the UK who have any advice for me. I have taught ages 4-7 for the past 17 years, and have been at my last school for 13 years. I am currently teaching in Y1 and I am also the Music co-ordinator and hold a middle management post for leader of KS1.All sounds good on paper, but I am wondering whether this would help in finding work. Is there much work for supply teachers as I have also heard that schools over there like to see you teach before you can find more permanent work.

Also, is there a preferable area for us to head to? All early questions, I know, but I would like to be ready with some information/ideas before we visit our agent next week.

Thanks for your help,

Josie Jo 2007

what i did as a mental health nurse was see what sort of money i could earn, i then looked at my partners earning potential as well as possible outgoings in OZ, shopping bills, electricity, child care, schooling, rent and buying and running cars and sorted it into a percentage of our overall income. for us it was less than what it was here in the uk. Financially it made sense.

we then looked at lifestyle in the Brisbane gold coast area, schools, after school clubs, exercise, socializing as well as crime rate which is about the same as the uk and major health concerns which was skin cancer (which risk can be minimized obviously) so again it was positive.

we have decided to give it a go on a short term working visa 457 for at least 2 years and by then we will know if it’s for us or not. at this point we will either come home to Scotland or apply for full citizenship. thus far i have only applied to AHPRA so still got about 6-8 month to go before we will be sunning ourselves.

hope this helps,

PS, be brave, if not for your future then for your children’s as this country is finished with political correctness. (in my opinion)

Guest guest57545

I have a friend over here who is australian and she waited months to secure a primary school job and even then its only for a year covering maternity...

IMO regional australia would be favourable ie NT, SA some WA or Tas

Guest Lillyvon

Sydney is VERY expensive. Best places to move to that REALLY need teachers are probably Tasmania, South Australia and Northern Territory. Victoria and NSW are very pricy and jobs are full. Once you 'get in' you can always move!

Guest josiejo2007

Thanks for the replies and advice. I have booked an appointment for Wednesday next week, so hope to gain more of an insight into ways we could get there. Will keep you posted xx

Archived