Drivng from Perth to Sydney

belaroy

As if moving from one side of the world to another wasn't stressfull enough, I thought what a fantastic experience driving 4500 odd KM's across Oz would be !!!!

We will be starting in Perth on the 18th April and getting to Sydney ( Wollongong really) around the 4th or 5th May. We will be stopping with friends in Adelaide and going to Kangaroo Island then the Great Ocean Road onto Melbourne and Phillip Island then up to Bega and and Cooma to see friends then to the Gong.

The bits in between are still undecided but I have now got some decent maps so am looking for some ideas for stops along the way. We will be driving one of these: http://www.britz.com.au/australia-campervan-hire its a Voyager 4 Berth Campervan . We are a family of 4 with a 5 yr and 2 yr old and I figure if we do around 500 k's a day it would be bearable.

I do know whats its like driving long distances - I have driven from Wollongong to Melbourne before in one hit which was around 10 or 11 hrs albeit not with kids !! But I did drive from Cherbourg to the Loire Valley last year which was around 400 odd miles in one day after a 3 hour ferry ride - that was just about the limit of sanity really ..

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

That sounds like fun. How much did they want for the camper? We tried to book one but the insurance was enormous. Do they charge a lot to drop it off in Woolongong? It will be a great experience. I have travelled on the train from Kalgoorlie to Adelaide, and driven from Melbourne to Adelaide and this year we will be seeing the bit between Melbounre and Brisbane.

But anyway, Kalgoorlie is a great spot. I real outback frontier town full of mines, brothels, topless barmaids, (when I was there the mayor ran one of the brothels). There is loads of history to the place and fantastic old buildings. You don't need to be a beer drinking womaniser to apprecite the towns unique charm either. Its defintley worth stopping the night. After that you'll be struggling until you get to Adelaide although a days break to go cage diving with Great Whites in Port Lincoln may take your mind off the road for a bit.

After that there is a little town between Adelaide and Melbourne called Robe, its lovely, may be slightly out of your way (which may be the last thing you want) but worth a visit. Also I hear the cliffs of the nullibor are amazing, if you leave the main road. Also on The Nullibor is a ghost town called Cook, once a triving little place it now has 3 residents (or did when I was there) but all the old buildings are there still.

On the Great Ocean Road, Lorne is my favourite place, we live in Torquay right at the start of it.

Have a great time!

That sounds like fun. How much did they want for the camper? We tried to book one but the insurance was enormous. Do they charge a lot to drop it off in Woolongong? It will be a great experience. I have travelled on the train from Kalgoorlie to Adelaide, and driven from Melbourne to Adelaide and this year we will be seeing the bit between Melbounre and Brisbane.

But anyway, Kalgoorlie is a great spot. I real outback frontier town full of mines, brothels, topless barmaids, (when I was there the mayor ran one of the brothels). There is loads of history to the place and fantastic old buildings. You don't need to be a beer drinking womaniser to apprecite the towns unique charm either. Its defintley worth stopping the night. After that you'll be struggling until you get to Adelaide although a days break to go cage diving with Great Whites in Port Lincoln may take your mind off the road for a bit.

After that there is a little town between Adelaide and Melbourne called Robe, its lovely, may be slightly out of your way (which may be the last thing you want) but worth a visit. Also I hear the cliffs of the nullibor are amazing, if you leave the main road. Also on The Nullibor is a ghost town called Cook, once a triving little place it now has 3 residents (or did when I was there) but all the old buildings are there still.

On the Great Ocean Road, Lorne is my favourite place, we live in Torquay right at the start of it.

Have a great time!

All up for 22 days hire is $2100 ish which I am not sure if it includes $380 one way fee. If not £2500 ish which I think is not too bad considering its our accomodation and travel. I agree the insureance is a right rip off - nearly $30 a day to make me liable for the first $2500 damage or spend nothing and they hold £7500 on a credit card - you just can't insure everything to the enth degree in life :confused:.

I shall look those places up on tinternet.cheers