Medical cover

Guest Welly

A bit of advice please.

We're hoping to move out to Sydney in the new year (visa pending). I would be going out in mid Jan to start a job early Feb, and my wife would come out Feb / March when she's done her 3 months notice at work (waiting to get the bonus in Nov etc etc).

At least that was the plan!!!!!!! We've just last week found out that we'll hopefully be having a new baby in May (early days fingers crossed) and i wondered how long after you've arrived out there you can get medicare cover.

Or can anyone give an idea as to how much it costs in Aus to have a baby through private health cover (assuming it all goes well).

With the new job i get medical cover of $1200 a year which i suppose is better than nothing?

Thanks for any advice .

I believe it's 10 days for permanent residents - but have no idea if standard medicare covers childbirth at all (I vaguely think I may have seen something on here that said not - try a search on 'pregancy' or 'childbirth' and see what comes up)

Guest PaulandSusan

Gareth,

Congratulations......:jiggy:and best of luck with the move.

I saw this on another thread earlier today - "....one thing that you have to think about and thats if you are not going on a perminant visa you will have to pay all your medical bills....can be costly i think about $8000 as one of my friends had a baby a few years ago....maybe worth checking up on."

Sue

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Gareth

Congratulations about the baby.

I don't know the answers to your questions myself, but I think I know a man who does.....

Colin Hanna, who posts quite a lot on the Go Matilda forum, went to Oz with his wife on a 457 visa and at least one of their children was born there, whilst they were still on the 457 visa, I think. He knows all about this subject, I suspect.

Please see this link:

Login To: The Go Matilda Forums

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Gill

Archived