Accountant for 189

westwoodwizard

1. Does anybody know in general whether the Bachelor of Commerce from major universities in India such as Sydenham College end up being positively assessed by CA?

2. Does 60 points nominating General Accountant as the skilled occupation have a chance of an invitation? I have read many people saying that 65 is a struggle and that you really need 70?

Sorry I cant help with the first question, but at the moment only 70 point accountants are being invited on the 189 visa and there is an 8 month backlog of 65 point accountants. So 60 pointers have a very low chance ( I guess I can say this as I am one of them!)

Sorry I cant help with the first question, but at the moment only 70 point accountants are being invited on the 189 visa and there is an 8 month backlog of 65 point accountants. So 60 pointers have a very low chance ( I guess I can say this as I am one of them!)

1. 8 month backlog even on 65? Well for my spouse it is going to be anywhere from 60-70 depending on the English test and how her work experience is assessed. I am concerned though if 60 points has no chance.

2. I understand that the assessing bodies like to offer an additional service of assessing skilled employment and that they offer it for of course the obvious reason of making money. But, I was told DIBP will assess the work experience and make the final determination so should my spouse just have a resume prepared with the appropriate evidence of employment to submit to DIBP? So, any reason to pay CA to do this as well? Is their determination accepted by DIBP when it comes to assessing skilled employment.

3. It appears you were able to get five additional points for NSW? Was Management Accountant on their skills in demand list? So I guess you can file the EOI for multiple visas?

4. I read accountants are flagged for removal but various accounting bodies in Australia/NZ are lobbying that they be kept on the list for next year. Are you concerned accountants are going to be off the list during the next fiscal year?

1. Yes that right 8 month backlog. Zero chance with 60 points currently. I am waiting to see if DIBP bring in any changes to how they calculate points on 1st July.

2. It doesn't cost any extra to get your Employment assessed at the same time as you are getting your qualifications done (with CPA anyway). Only post degree level qualification employment will be assessed as skilled so it is definitely worth getting the assessing body to do this. I had this problem as have 6 years work experience but CPA only assessed 1.5 yrs as skilled at the appropriate level. I wouldn't risk not having the employment assessed just in case you over claim.

3. Yes NSW has Accountant on their list and you get 5 extra points on a 190 Visa, but they still have the same backlog as on a 189 Visa and tend to only invite people with either 70+5 or 65+5 and Superior English.

4. Accountants are flagged and have been for the last couple of years I believe. I am concerned they might be removed but its just a case of waiting to see what happens. Possibly they will just reduce the occupation ceiling again to less than 2015-16 level of 2600 accountants. But this is anyone's guess, I don't think we will know until 1st July

1. Yes that right 8 month backlog. Zero chance with 60 points currently. I am waiting to see if DIBP bring in any changes to how they calculate points on 1st July.

2. It doesn't cost any extra to get your Employment assessed at the same time as you are getting your qualifications done (with CPA anyway). Only post degree level qualification employment will be assessed as skilled so it is definitely worth getting the assessing body to do this. I had this problem as have 6 years work experience but CPA only assessed 1.5 yrs as skilled at the appropriate level. I wouldn't risk not having the employment assessed just in case you over claim.

3. Yes NSW has Accountant on their list and you get 5 extra points on a 190 Visa, but they still have the same backlog as on a 189 Visa and tend to only invite people with either 70+5 or 65+5 and Superior English.

4. Accountants are flagged and have been for the last couple of years I believe. I am concerned they might be removed but its just a case of waiting to see what happens. Possibly they will just reduce the occupation ceiling again to less than 2015-16 level of 2600 accountants. But this is anyone's guess, I don't think we will know until 1st July

1. We were originally Family Sponsored 176 Offshore file back in early 2009..then came priority processing...we still hoped that it would be allocated within 5 or 6 years...no can do...Cap and Cease in September 2015. With the passing of time and change in age category, our options are so limited. It took time to figure this out and we figured Accountant through my spouse on 189 is a possibility...but now we come to learn that the occupation ceiling was already lowered from 10,000 to 5000 and maybe lower next fiscal year. It seems like it takes so much time just to get the skills assessed, documentation, etc together...by the time we are ready for the EOI...something will materially change that makes our new path unlikely...icon9.png

2. Understood.

3. My spouse is the main applicant. We will get 5 points (partner skills) for my skills assessed as a secondary teacher. Even though I am not the main applicant, could the demand for secondary teachers thus my qualifications as a partner be considered by DIBP when they look at the EOI with 60 points from my spouse's application as a factor to weigh in deciding who to invite (even with an automated system in place).

4. So if you are not invited by the time the new skills list comes out for fiscal year 2016-2017 and Management Accountant is removed (hypothetically speaking), does that mean you cannot be invited during fiscal year 2016-2017?

Just to give you an idea of the 189 invite numbers:

The last time someone with 60 points was invited was 24th March 2015, so more than a year ago.

There have been 17 invitation rounds this financial year, and only 4 of them let in accountants with 65 points and the last was 23rd September.

70 points have been running with a 10 day backlog for the last 3 or 4 invitation rounds.

Therefore unless you get 70 points there is a very big backlog in front of you and your chances of an invite are very slim. Obviously as you have covered above, things may change come July. Earlier in the year 70 points even had a 3 month backlog, so it may be that Accountants stay on the list in July, but the minimum points goes up again.

Gathering the documents is the bit which takes time, but if you are organised you can speed this up, the skills assessment itself only takes 2 weeks. Once you have the English test and this you can lodge your EOI, you don't need all the supporting documents to lodge the EOI just your English test number and skills assessment number. I know the bulk of the supporting documents relate to the skills assessment, but if you just focus on these bits first it may help speed things up.

Edited by mgreaves

Have you considered being the Primary applicant? I'm pretty sure Secondary Teachers are in demand and you might have a better chance of getting Visa more quickly? Then your wife could also get the 5 partner points.

1. We were originally Family Sponsored 176 Offshore file back in early 2009..then came priority processing...we still hoped that it would be allocated within 5 or 6 years...no can do...Cap and Cease in September 2015. With the passing of time and change in age category, our options are so limited. It took time to figure this out and we figured Accountant through my spouse on 189 is a possibility...but now we come to learn that the occupation ceiling was already lowered from 10,000 to 5000 and maybe lower next fiscal year. It seems like it takes so much time just to get the skills assessed, documentation, etc together...by the time we are ready for the EOI...something will materially change that makes our new path unlikely...icon9.png

2. Understood.

3. My spouse is the main applicant. We will get 5 points (partner skills) for my skills assessed as a secondary teacher. Even though I am not the main applicant, could the demand for secondary teachers thus my qualifications as a partner be considered by DIBP when they look at the EOI with 60 points from my spouse's application as a factor to weigh in deciding who to invite (even with an automated system in place).

4. So if you are not invited by the time the new skills list comes out for fiscal year 2016-2017 and Management Accountant is removed (hypothetically speaking), does that mean you cannot be invited during fiscal year 2016-2017?

Have you considered being the Primary applicant? I'm pretty sure Secondary Teachers are in demand and you might have a better chance of getting Visa more quickly? Then your wife could also get the 5 partner points.

I am now after your post. Previously, I thought I would have to do it through a 489 to achieve the points. But, I took another look at it appears I could pull it off under the 189 or 190. I would still probably need spouse's partner skill 5 points.

The only thing is, by the time I get the assessment and English test done, I am looking at Fiscal Year 2016-2017. I noticed that Secondary Teacher and Accountant have been flagged for removal.

Does anybody feel that both of these will be removed?