189 visa and being a new mom

ecar

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone might be able to help with some information? Husband has been working in AU for a year on a 457, and is keen to have me and the baby there too (we are dependants on his visa). As he is now 45 (I am 35) I was reluctant to quit my job and move as did not want to have to move again if he is refused AU permanent residence later due to his age... Have applied for an 189 nominating him and the baby as dependants, and if that is granted then I will move to AU as well. However, at that point I will be a new mom wanting to spend time with my second baby.. Did not take maternity leave with my first one (January this year) and it has been extremely stressful and heart-breaking, so am absolutely certain that I would want to stay at home for a while after the second child's birth. My first question is.. can I actually do that as the primary visa holder.. Would I be refused an extension of the permanent visa or citizenship later? My husband will be continuing to work for his current employer, and his job is also on the short list of occupations but he has not yet heard on a skill assessment yet and has not had any replies from the assessing agency either though he submitted months ago! I wonder whether he may be able to apply for citizenship after 4 years of residing in the country (while he is still below 50 years of age) even though he would have been a dependent permanent resident before he applies.. Confusing, I know.. The mind boggles.. Any ideas? Thanks!

You can do what you want once you have a permanent visa.

If you have applied for a 189 visa, why is your husband bothering with skills assessment, there is no need for you both to do this, just an unnecessary expense. His age is irrelevant to applying for citizenship, once he has been there for four years, including one year as a permanent resident, he would become eligible.

Thank you, Pumpkin, this is comforting!

He actually applied first, but got no reply. I applied later and got both my skills assessment and EOI replies within a couple of weeks. The most disappointing thing is that AU limits parent visas. My mom currently takes care of the baby so I can work full time. Without her, I would definitely have to stay at home, which might be for the best, who knows! :) But gosh, it is all so daunting.. Have a house to sell, a great job to quit, and it pays 12% of my salary into my pension.. Are you liking AU better than the UK?

Thank you, Pumpkin, this is comforting!

He actually applied first, but got no reply. I applied later and got both my skills assessment and EOI replies within a couple of weeks. The most disappointing thing is that AU limits parent visas. My mom currently takes care of the baby so I can work full time. Without her, I would definitely have to stay at home, which might be for the best, who knows! :) But gosh, it is all so daunting.. Have a house to sell, a great job to quit, and it pays 12% of my salary into my pension.. Are you liking AU better than the UK?

I believe there is a quota per year for parents visas, but this does not exclude people who do not fall into the quote one year, it just impacts timing. If your mother qualifies for the contributory parent visa, I believe it takes about 18 months. But you have to be settled in Australia before she even applies.

No I don't like Australia better than UK or vice versa. They both have their merits and I am happy in either.