186 Visa and Anxiety Disorder

Hi all

Apologies for the long post in advance. I'm hoping that if anyone has been in a similar position to me previously might be willing to share their experiences with me.

My wife and I have been in Australia for a little over 2 years now on a 457 Visa. We are just now getting started on our journey towards Permanent Residency through the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) visa via the Temporary Residence Transition Stream. We have engaged the services of a Migration Agent and both the Nomination and Visa applications are being prepared.

One of the main reasons that we decided to engage an Agent is because I was diagnosed with an Anxiety Disorder in 2012. I have always been quite an anxious person but, barring a single isolated incident 5 years ago, I had never sought any medical treatment previously. However, late in 2012 it got to a peak, and I sought assistance (I now understand that only around half of people who struggle with this ever seek assistance). I began seeing a counsellor and was prescribed an antidepressant/anxiety alleviating medication to help me manage the condition.

I was seeing the Counsellor on a monthly or so basis and regularly taking the medication for a little under a year and a half after feeling that it was more under control/manageable. I know that Anxiety never goes away and that there can be peaks and troughs. I'm having a bit off a tough time at the moment, and considering resuming the medication/revisiting my counsellor to help with it.

Having been coping without for a few months now, I am concerned about resuming the support because of the potential impacts on our PR application. I'm reluctant to resume any treatment, because I'd presume it would improve our chances of securing PR if I was able to demonstrate I am managing it without aid? Or as long as it's being managed would it not matter if I was still being treated?

I am aware of the 'significant cost' threshold when Immigration consider health issues. My medication costs were around $22 a month, though I presume there would have been some rebate from Medicare making the actual cost higher and my counselling sessions cost me less than $200 a time total, with a rebate of circa $80 from Medicare, but still, would seem unlikely to take me up to the threshold I'd have thought.

I guess I'm hoping to hear from anyone who's been through similar - with Anxiety or other 'chronic neurosis', such as Depression or Phobias who can tell me what the process and outcome was for them. Were you referred for a psychiatric assessment? Will going on and off medication/for counselling hurt our application? Might be refused PR because of high costs? Perhaps some costs to the community which I'm not considering. I know that I can ask our Agent these questions too but I think there are always things to learn from the first hand experiences of those who've gone through this kind of thing.

Again, apologies for the length of post. If you've gotten this far well done, and thank you.

Hi

When I applied for a partner visa when I was on a 457 visa I was taking (and still am taking) anti-depressants for depression. When I went for my medical assessment the doctor had to refer my case for further assessment because of the depression but I received the all clear two weeks laterand the visa went on to be processed. I applied for citizenship last Friday. I think if you can demonstrate that you are managing your condition and can keep down a job (which you seem to be doing) you should be OK. A colleague of mine who was also on a 457 went for permanent residency (sponsored by work) and he was also on anti-depressants. In his case, he was asked to go for a psychiatric assessment but still was approved for PR.

I think you will be fine.

Good luck!

Hi all

Apologies for the long post in advance. I'm hoping that if anyone has been in a similar position to me previously might be willing to share their experiences with me.

My wife and I have been in Australia for a little over 2 years now on a 457 Visa. We are just now getting started on our journey towards Permanent Residency through the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) visa via the Temporary Residence Transition Stream. We have engaged the services of a Migration Agent and both the Nomination and Visa applications are being prepared.

One of the main reasons that we decided to engage an Agent is because I was diagnosed with an Anxiety Disorder in 2012. I have always been quite an anxious person but, barring a single isolated incident 5 years ago, I had never sought any medical treatment previously. However, late in 2012 it got to a peak, and I sought assistance (I now understand that only around half of people who struggle with this ever seek assistance). I began seeing a counsellor and was prescribed an antidepressant/anxiety alleviating medication to help me manage the condition.

I was seeing the Counsellor on a monthly or so basis and regularly taking the medication for a little under a year and a half after feeling that it was more under control/manageable. I know that Anxiety never goes away and that there can be peaks and troughs. I'm having a bit off a tough time at the moment, and considering resuming the medication/revisiting my counsellor to help with it.

Having been coping without for a few months now, I am concerned about resuming the support because of the potential impacts on our PR application. I'm reluctant to resume any treatment, because I'd presume it would improve our chances of securing PR if I was able to demonstrate I am managing it without aid? Or as long as it's being managed would it not matter if I was still being treated?

I am aware of the 'significant cost' threshold when Immigration consider health issues. My medication costs were around $22 a month, though I presume there would have been some rebate from Medicare making the actual cost higher and my counselling sessions cost me less than $200 a time total, with a rebate of circa $80 from Medicare, but still, would seem unlikely to take me up to the threshold I'd have thought.

I guess I'm hoping to hear from anyone who's been through similar - with Anxiety or other 'chronic neurosis', such as Depression or Phobias who can tell me what the process and outcome was for them. Were you referred for a psychiatric assessment? Will going on and off medication/for counselling hurt our application? Might be refused PR because of high costs? Perhaps some costs to the community which I'm not considering. I know that I can ask our Agent these questions too but I think there are always things to learn from the first hand experiences of those who've gone through this kind of thing.

Again, apologies for the length of post. If you've gotten this far well done, and thank you.

Thank you for your reply Loopylu and for sharing your own experience.

May I ask how recent your experience was? Also, do you know if the health requirements for a Partner visa are the same as the 186? Just wondering if because (I presume) you are the partner of an Australian the health requirements are perhaps less strict?

I've been torn between going back on the meds for the time being to get me in a better place, and staying off them for the duration of the application process. Of course, my application might require a psychiatric assessment regardless because of relative recency of it and I'm sure I'd come across better if I'm in a happier and calmer place.

With your colleague who had the assessment, do you know how long it was and what kind of questions they asked? Did they contact his employer at all do you know? I'd have they couldn't because of confidentiality and privacy.

The condition has never prevented me from working and I've always been in work since graduating from University 10 years ago.

I had my assessment in 2011 and my visa was granted in July 2012. The health requirements and assessment process are no different between partner visas and other PR visas. However, if you were refused a visa on the grounds of health and ended up appealing the decision to the Minister, I imagine that if you are married to an Australian that would help your case.

They do not contact your employer about your health. It is totally private. If, when assessing you, they find something on an XRay that you did not know about (eg a tumour) they would tell you so that you can do something about it.

As far as going back on meds is concerned, if you need them then take them. As you say, you will come across to the assessing doctor as more relaxed and well mentally if you are on them.

With my colleague, he just saw a psychiatrist for about an hour and they asked the usual questions about how you are feeling etc.

As I said before, I think you will be fine.