HR (as in Human Resources)?

Nearlythere1

Hi All,

Our eldest is a 28 year old HR Manager, her job is on the CSOL list and was wondering if there are many out there in HR, to offer some advice on possibilities of 457 sponsorship etc? She has a 2.1 BSc Hons degree in Forensic and Investigative Studies from Coventry Uni. Started as a HR Assistant in 2010 and then on to the HR Manager approx a year and a half ago. Her current company has 400+ staff and she is the HR there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

I'm not in HR but my husband was when we first arrived. I'm not sure if my comments will be of any help at all, but just filling in until a HR person arrives :). I live in Broome and have no idea about the east coast but am aware of lots of cuts in Queensland govt in the not so distant past. WA govt. are also experiencing job freezes. I guess from your location that you're looking at Townsville/Brisbane and assume that your daughter has found lists of companies and contacted them with resume, follow up phone calls etc? I could be very wrong but I don't think it's a great time to be looking for hr sponsorship. There have been government cut backs in a few states which would move hr people into private industry and reduce vacancies. My advice would be to come on holiday and unofficially to meet some employers or look at rural and remote locations that often struggle to recruit. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but there are amazing opportunities to be found. Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Edited by eljay

Hi

I'm not in HR but my husband was when we first arrived. I'm not sure if my comments will be of any help at all, but just filling in until a HR person arrives :). I live in Broome and have no idea about the east coast but am aware of lots of cuts in Queensland govt in the not so distant past. WA govt. are also experiencing job freezes. I guess from your location that you're looking at Townsville/Brisbane and assume that your daughter has found lists of companies and contacted them with resume, follow up phone calls etc? I could be very wrong but I don't think it's a great time to be looking for hr sponsorship. There have been government cut backs in a few states which would move hr people into private industry and reduced vacancies. My advice would be to come on holiday and try to unofficially try to meet some employers or look at rural and remote locations that often struggle to recruit. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but there are amazing opportunities to be found. Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Hi eljay,

Thanks for your response, we're just testing the water for her at the moment. She's pinged off a few emails/resumes' in the last couple of days, hopefully she'll get some feedback. She already did her WHV back in 2005, so can't do it again, or so I believe. We are moving over next week, so should be able to get some more info for her whilst looking for a job myself.. Thanks again for the advice.. :notworthy:

Hey, sounds like an exciting time to say the least! Hopefully you already know but Aussie companies are not all like UK ones for responding, especially to people overseas so hopefully she already knows that and won't be put off by no responses. Things can be a lot more relaxed here, not generalising but just saying you may find that's the case. Also of course, from an employer's point of view how do they know an applicant overseas will genuinely make the move? Hopefully she'll be lucky and have companies who are more responsive to enquiries. Following up with phone calls and then coming over shows commitment if she does struggle to get responses. Again, depends on how close you need to be to each other but some states/locations struggle to recruit more than others and she may need to consider flexibility of location.

Hey, sounds like an exciting time to say the least! Hopefully you already know but Aussie companies are not all like UK ones for responding, especially to people overseas so hopefully she already knows that and won't be put off by no responses. Things can be a lot more relaxed here, not generalising but just saying you may find that's the case. Also of course, from an employer's point of view how do they know an applicant overseas will genuinely make the move? Hopefully she'll be lucky and have companies who are more responsive to enquiries. Following up with phone calls and then coming over shows commitment if she does struggle to get responses. Again, depends on how close you need to be to each other but some states/locations struggle to recruit more than others and she may need to consider flexibility of location.

Yeah quite exciting at the mo. I've told her all my woes of no responses, so she won't be too disheartened if she doesn't get much response. Just putting the feelers out really.. Having her in the same country or even hemisphere would be a good start lol.. Thanks again.. :smile:

Hi,

I am in HR here in Sydney. I was like your daughter fully qualified with a degree and worked for a similar size firm. I came out here on a permenant visa so didn't have a job when I arrived. I have to say I was shocked how difficult it was to get a job in HR. As soon as they learned I was from the UK they turned me down for not having any experience here in OZ. To stop this problem I took loads of courses in HR here and got certified by the Australian Human Resources Institute. But they still kept turning me away. In the end I had to take a big step back into an HR advisors role just to gain the ozzie experience.

I dont want to put you off just want to give you a realistic picture of this industry. The recruitement agencies dont help much, they would rather put people with australian experince for HR jobs first. I know I will get some comments from people saying thats discrimination but its still reality unfortunatly. Also I'm sure there may be some people that have walked straight into a Managers role and I say well done to them.

I wish you luck.