Australia - expensive??!

Guest Johnnydt

Guest chris955

You do talk about Australia as if from the viewpoint of someone who has in fact lived here. I assume you have holidayed at length here ?

Good luck with your move if it happens for you.

And yes, clearly I haven't lived in Oz, but then I did say so in my post.

The UK is NOT God's gift to mankind and be it expensive or not, Australia will always be my first choice to live as it's an amazing country both in beauty and people.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MongooseB

I so BADLY wish I could say I have lived in Oz, but sadly I haven't, just always dreamed of doing so. I just think that in so many ways it is an awesome country and seems to have learnt so much from the mistakes made by the rest of the world. I come from South Africa, sadly having to leave because of affirmative action and my kids not being entitled to a fair life there, but even all the years I spent living there, I have always admired the Australian people. Your laid back approach to life and the way in which you don't feel it necessary to sensationalise everything that goes on in your country is admirable. I don't for one second doubt that the country is without its own problems, but Australia, unlike so many other countries, plays its card close to its chest and runs its country witout depending on the attention of the rest of the world. SA will always be my first love, but Oz follows a close second - and I've not even lived there, so that's saying a lot!

Thanks for your good wishes.

Guest chris955

Well you definitely have a very romanticised view of this country and I'm not sure the truth will quite live up to it but it's good that you have a dream.

Funny enough my wife always says 'why hasn't this country learnt from the mistakes of others' :biggrin:

Guest guest36187
Basically, it's a big NO-NO to compare the cost of living before living in the country. Only once you are earning local currency and no longer spending your £'s can you really do a costing.

If you earning dollars you spend in dollars. IT is human to compare in those first few months but you soon get out of it!!!

There are some cheaper and some dearer things here but you adapt.

• 1 year later...

Just doing a search and seeing these threads regarding Oz being expensive. Yes it is, we were there on the 1 year work permits way back in 90/91 and it was pretty daunting then! especially when you compared to the cost of things in California (at the time) That's the thing, you have to stop comparing to what was before and get on with it. I'm curious as to how the cost of living compares to wages in Oz? What are the typical wages for skilled workers? What is "minimum wage"?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Just doing a search and seeing these threads regarding Oz being expensive. Yes it is, we were there on the 1 year work permits way back in 90/91 and it was pretty daunting then! especially when you compared to the cost of things in California (at the time) That's the thing, you have to stop comparing to what was before and get on with it. I'm curious as to how the cost of living compares to wages in Oz? What are the typical wages for skilled workers? What is "minimum wage"?

The average wage in Australia is 40% higher than in the UK if you use the current exchange rate, this is an old thread, but essentially you need a wage of approximately $2.3 to $2.4 to £1 to your UK wage to have a similar standard of living.

The average wage in Australia is 40% higher than in the UK if you use the current exchange rate, this is an old thread, but essentially you need a wage of approximately $2.3 to $2.4 to £1 to your UK wage to have a similar standard of living.

Thanks. I'm reading right now that Oz minimum wage is $A15.54 an hour? That equals about 10 pounds or $US16 odd. For unskilled workers that is all pretty good especially as the California minimum (higher than US in general) is about $US8.50 right now, which will get you no where, even though US/Cali prices for living needs are lower than UK/Aus. Then of course in Aus you don't have the ludicrous sub-economy of incessent tipping! When we were thare in 90/91, me as an Electrician and my wife (then girlfriend) as a Clinical Lab Scientist (Medical Technologist) were both earning about $A16 an hour and were doing alright. That was in Queensland. Bottom line, adjust and get on with it. If I can offer any moral help to a Brit ex-pat who is thinking of going back to England. NEVER!! The mother country is a ruinous Euro controlled overcrowded mess. IF anyone has the time I would like to see costs of things. Groceries/Fuel/Housing/

Archived