Changing passports after visa grant

JRJones

Dear all,

Hope you are all well today and having a good week - I'm glad it's nearly the weekend, tough week! :sleep:

Anyway, really hoping somebody can advise me here, so let me set out what's happening:

In December 2016 I was granted my 309 partner visa and we are moving to Australia in September this year. My passport is expiring in July 2018 and I'm guessing it's a lot easier and cheaper to get it renewed in UK than do it from Australia. Either way, when this happens, my visa will need to be changed to reflect the new passport number. My question is twofold really:

1) Is it simple enough to change the visa to a new passport number? Has anybody done this before and if so, did you use the ImmiAccount?

2) With 3 months until moving, is there enough time to get this sorted or should I wait until I'm in Australia to sort this?

I've been on hold with the Service Centre for 25 minutes and have found myself in the queue for reporting malpractice, so have just ended the call. Can't for the life of me find the answer I'm looking for on the website either!!¬¬

Any help here would be much appreciated as I don't want to jeopardise anything!

Thanks!

Hi,

We have just had to do this. Go on your immi account and there is a tab. I think it says (Let us know of changes) click on this and amend your passport number. It then changes status to say "in progress"

When we went to Aus last year just to validate our visa we had changed our sons passport and I didnt know you had to let them know (Panic!!) but the lady on checkin desk called a number and did it over the phone.

Thats why we knew to do it this time around

Just now, adele244 said:

Hi,

We have just had to do this. Go on your immi account and there is a tab. I think it says (Let us know of changes) click on this and amend your passport number. It then changes status to say "in progress"

When we went to Aus last year just to validate our visa we had changed our sons passport and I didnt know you had to let them know (Panic!!) but the lady on checkin desk called a number and did it over the phone.

Thats why we knew to do it this time around

Just checked it says "update us"

Do you need to inform them of a renewed passport even after you have had your visa granted.

I have been living in Victoria for the last 2 years on a PR visa, and I renewed my expiring UK passport.  Do I need to inform them of this change and new passport number ?

Found the answer.

http://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/how-can-i-update-my-address-or-passport-details

How can I update my address or passport details?

You must notify us of a change in address if you have an undecided application for a visa with us and you intend to change your residential address for 14 days or more.

You should advise us of a change of address while you hold a visa to assist us to contact you if required.

You must advise us of a change of passport details if you currently hold a visa, as your visa is associated with your passport.