Advice needed 489 visa

claireh

Hi, we will be moving later in the year & already have 489 visa. We are coming for a holiday next week staying with friends in Perth & then onto Adelaide & Brisbsne.

looking to get a head start on what type of properties we can afford to rent (have a dog so probably limited!) but also work - any suggestions on gaining employment is it mainly using agencies at this stage? I'm a youth worker & wanting to work with young people around mental health if possible.

I know we have to work in low growth areas which is fine but don't know how to start looking for work & this will affect where we live?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2017 at 2:59 AM, claireh said:

Hi, we will be moving later in the year & already have 489 visa. We are coming for a holiday next week staying with friends in Perth & then onto Adelaide & Brisbsne.

looking to get a head start on what type of properties we can afford to rent (have a dog so probably limited!) but also work - any suggestions on gaining employment is it mainly using agencies at this stage? I'm a youth worker & wanting to work with young people around mental health if possible.

I know we have to work in low growth areas which is fine but don't know how to start looking for work & this will affect where we live?

thanks

Hi, under 489 visa, you need to work full-time for 1 year period in your designated low population area, to get PR visa after 2 years of stay in that area. The hour count for full-time work could be combined work hours of two or more part-time jobs you worked, and need not be in the SOL occupation on which you are granted the 489 visa. You can seek assistance from job agents to help you find the part-time jobs. 

Can you please let me know the total point count you got, when applied for 489 visa,  the date you applied, and your SOL occupation.

Archived