PTE Essay Stucture

darraghbyrne11

Hey guys,

Quick question

I'm booked in for my pte test next week looking for 65 but worried about the essay part.

Stuggling to get the essay written inside the 20mins. I seem to waste to much time on the paraphrasing the intro and then the ideas.

Also unsure of how to approach the Stucture.

How many supporting paragraphs are needed?

Some people say 1 others say 2.

Suppose what I'm really asking is how did you guys go about yours?? ☺️

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated thanks for taking the time to read all this. ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I found the essay part the hardest too, although did ok when it came to the test. The structure I used was an intro followed by 2 paragraphs each consisting of a different point and the pros/cons to it then a summary. Its important to remember that you're writing ability is being tested not your knowledge, so picking a few relevant points for and against is enough and try not to go over the top on information, also putting in sayings will also get you more points, I used "In some circles it is believed". My main tip would be to just keep practising writing them as it'll increase your speed, I went through this list twice 'http://www.allinfi.com/pte-academic-most-repeated-essay-types-with-short-cut-points/' its time consuming but worth it. Also I went online and found some people had rough templates they were using which helps speed things up if you already have a structure in mind, if you google 'pte-a written discourse' you'll find them.

Have you done the online tests at PTE? they're a total rip-off but as its marked the exact same way as the real exam, you'll know if you doing it right or not.

Good luck!!

I found the essay part the hardest too, although did ok when it came to the test. The structure I used was an intro followed by 2 paragraphs each consisting of a different point and the pros/cons to it then a summary. Its important to remember that you're writing ability is being tested not your knowledge, so picking a few relevant points for and against is enough and try not to go over the top on information, also putting in sayings will also get you more points, I used "In some circles it is believed". My main tip would be to just keep practising writing them as it'll increase your speed, I went through this list twice 'http://www.allinfi.com/pte-academic-most-repeated-essay-types-with-short-cut-points/' its time consuming but worth it. Also I went online and found some people had rough templates they were using which helps speed things up if you already have a structure in mind, if you google 'pte-a written discourse' you'll find them.

Have you done the online tests at PTE? they're a total rip-off but as its marked the exact same way as the real exam, you'll know if you doing it right or not.

Good luck!!

Hi zippy,

thanks for all the information and tips you've given me i will try and use this when practicing to help me speed up in the essay.

I paid for the practice tests on the pte website quite expensive but I suppose you have to take this seriously.

So I took the first mock test with no practice at all two weeks ago just to get a gauge of were I stand but i didn't score to great.

Test A - L59 R62 S71 W 51

Then last week with some writing practice during the week I took the other one.

Test B - L68 R73 S82 W65.

Just passed the writing and no more. So I'm booked in for 6th Feb this Monday for it. Hope I can get 65 across the board, so then I can apply for 189.

How did you find the mock tests easier or harder than the real one?

Also how did you score compared to the real one?

Thanks again☺️?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by darraghbyrne11

I found the real test to be slightly easier then the mocks, I got lucky and only had to do one Essay question. For the writing I got 63 then 72 in mocks then 84 in the real one, I had to get 79 for the 20pts. On the mocks I found I was loosing writing points in the 'written discourse' 0 first then 48 second mock and 'spelling' around 50 each test, so did loads of revision on both, then on the real one I got 90 for the discourse but 45 for spelling even though I spent ages checking the spelling, guess I just can't spell.

Good luck for Monday hope it all goes well. The best thing about this test is getting the results in 2 days :)