UK to Oz: Structural Engineering Draughtsperson (312211) - But no formal education

CaddyUK1234

Hi all,

I'm a UK resident of birth currently living in the UK.

I have been granted a Working Holiday Visa that is valid from March 1st 2017 (in 8 weeks).

I am a 28yo Structural Draughtsman and have been working in this role in the UK for 4 years - I have all the evidence to back it up and can get references if required. I can also provide a portfolio and I'm happy to prove my skills, for instance by talking to an assessor or by working for an Australian employer.

Structural Engineering Draughtsperson (312211) is on the SOL for Victoria.

I do NOT have any formal qualifications for the role. I essentially walked in off the street and asked for a job, was given one, and learnt on the job. Is there ANYchance of me obtaining a 457 Sponsored Visa without this?

My plan was to arrive in Melbourne on my WHV and hit the ground running by finding a good employer and having them sponsor me through a 457.

My worry now is obviously that I will never be able to obtain anything BUT a WHV, because I don't have this piece of paper.

I am competent in my job and would be able to walk into a job in Oz and start draughting for them (making them money). I'm not short on skills or experience.

Please may someone let me know whether I would be elgible for a 457 with only work experience.

The assessing authority is Vetassess (sorry - I can't link the specific role).

https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-assessment-for-migration/general-occupations/nominate-an-occupation

[h=3]Civil Engineering Draftsperson (ANZSCO Code 312211)[/h]This occupation requires a qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years in a field which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If employment is not post-qualification, then three additional years of highly relevant employment are required.

If the qualification is not in a highly relevant field, two years of employment at an appropriate skill level, completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation is required. This is reduced to one year if there is an additional qualification at least at AQF Certificate IV level in a highly relevant field.

A positive assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for a positive Skills Assessment Outcome.

Looks to me as if the writing is on the wall, which is obviously a huge shame for me. I can do the job, but I'm not in the position as a competent worker to take a year off and spend up to £6,000 on a piece of paper to prove I have some academic capability.

Any help much appreciated

Hi CaddyUK1234 -

In your case the skills assessment is the issue. I'd look at the 457 visa option first through a sponsoring employer, where if you can show 3 years of experience in this occupation, you can pass the ANZSCO minimum skilled requirements via work experience to get the 457 visa. Then after 2 years working for the employer on a 457 visa, the employer (at their option) can sponsor you for a 186 or 187 employer sponsored PR visa. This pathway avoids a skills assessment entirely unless DIBP requests it as part of the application process, however years of proven, documented experience can often work per the ANZSCO work experience option. More on this on http://www.anzscosearch.com/search/ which is a handy site for occupation-specific info.

Hope this helps -

Best,

Mark Northam

Good morning Mark,

Thanks for the prompt and well informed reply.

This gives me a lot of hope. I've highlighted in green below the text that confirms what you say.

Insofar as it's possible to make this as certain as I can, now I intend to find out what I can do to ensure I can go down this path.

You mention ANZSCO minimum skilled requirements .. Do you know if these are set down in writing anywhere?

Or is it at the discretion of the Case Officer at the DIPB when the 457 appliaction arrives on his/her desk?

I've copied the relevant page from the ANZSCO thread below:

ANZSCO 312211: Civil Engineering Draftsperson

Major Group: 3 - Technicians and Trades Workers | Sub-Major Group: 31 - Engineering, ICT and Science Technicians | Minor Group: 312 - Building and Engineering Technicians | Unit Group: 3122 - Civil Engineering Draftspersons and Technicians

Description: Prepares detailed drawings and plans for civil engineering work in support of Civil Engineering Professionals and Engineering Technologists. Registration or licensing may be required.

Skill Level 2 : Occupations at Skill Level 2 have a level of skill commensurate with one of the following:

- NZ Register Diploma or

- AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma.

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

Much appreciated, with 8 weeks to go nerves are a bit thin as to whether i've bitten off more than I can chew at this point (yes, I know..)