Cite the visa condition "...must work for nominated salary..."

BadgerLady

I've been on 457 for over three years now and am in the process of getting nomination for ENS 186.

In the meantime, my employer has asked me to carry out a project that includes working in developing countries, something I'm very keen to do. Normally for these projects they ask the employee to take a salary cut of 25-50%, to make the work more affordable to the (usually non-profit) client, but special arrangements can be made.

I explained that my 457 visa requires me to work "in my nominated occupation for my nominated salary" and the project manager is now seeking approval from HR to go ahead at full pay... however it will really help his case if I can attach a document that proves it! I've spent all afternoon Googling and can't find any trusted source that clearly states that I must receive the same salary that was declared at the time of my visa nomination approval.

Who's got a lovely resource they can point me to or scan in?

Hi BL,

No you wouldn't find that kind of document on the internet unless you went to reg. 5.19 of the Migration Regulations through either Austlii or a commercial legal resource such as the Department of Immigration's Legend or LexisNexis or equivalent.

FWIW it might be sensible to seek professional advice about this since work undertaken overseas may not count and you probably already meet the two out of the last three years requirement, ie you should be able to take the pay cut after all.

Cheers,

George Lombard