partner to partner

jay89

Is it possible to end a de facto visa application which has passed its first round and is waiting on the papers to be approved for the complete process, and apply for a new de facto visa with my fiancé? I split up with my ex (who was my sponsor) approximately 18 months ago and we simply left the visa process as it was. Obviously we need to fix this up so we can get on with our lives and I can hopefully build a life with my fiancé.

Hi Jay90 - As your relationship broke down 18 months ago and neither of you informed DIBP as you were obligated to do, you may have created potential issues for yourself re: claiming you were in a relationship with your new fiance at the same time you had a partner visa application pending with your previous partner. If you are onshore and have held a bridging visa for the last 18 months based on a partner relationship that no longer existed, that could make matters worse. Suggest you get professional assistance via a consultation with an immigration lawyer or migration agent to assess what your options are now and determine best way(s) to proceed.

Best,

Mark Northam