When does a 457 visa become valid

Val Tibenham

If you are outside of Australia when the 457 visa is granted (ie: you applied while you were outside Australia), then you are usually given up to 1 year to make your entry. And then the visa grant period runs from the date you enter.

In other words, here is the law:

(a) a visa holder / applicant who is in Australia at the time of visa grant — can remain in Australia for a period of not more than 4 years from the date of grant; and

(b) in the case of a visa holder / applicant who is outside Australia at the time of grant — can remain in Australia for a period of not more than 4 years from the date of entry that is specified by the Minister.

Hi Val,

I think that what I wrote above and the policy doesn't really make sense. Sorry. Mental lapse. So just to clarify my post above:

Your visa expiry date definitely should not be the same as the date your visa was granted. Your visa expiry date should be however long the employer said they are happy to sponsor you. Normally employers go for the full maximum 4 years from date of grant.

You cannot get a 457 expiry date extended by asking for a correction on the visa grant letter. Not unless a mistake was clearly made by the case officer in the grant letter. But it doesn't sounds like a mistake was made.

So your visa expiry period is exactly what is indicated in your visa grant letter.

Thanks SOMV for your reply.

When I checked VEVO it is showing my visa expiry date to be the date it was granted (I was in the UK at that time).

I did not arrive in Australia until a short time after. How do I get the expiry date altered please?

Thanks for your help.