Am I able to work on my 457 visa?

ben1997

Hi, I wonder if you can offer me some advice. My father has recently moved to QLD on a 457 Visa, although his job is a permanent one, so later he can extend visa if he likes it over there. My mum brother and I have been granted 457 Visas as his dependants/ wife. I have just completed my A levels and will be visiting him in my uni holidays which is why he applied for a visa for me.

I have decided to take a gap year and have been offered the opportunity to play cricket in Adelaide as an overseas player. This is an unpaid position and although the club will sort out accomodation, I will be looking to find casual work to keep myself occupied when I'm not playing cricket, just bar work etc.

So, my question is: can I do that on my 457 Visa or do I need to apply for a 715 working holiday visa? I really want to get on and book my flights and don't want to pay for another visa if I don't require one.?

Thanks Ben

If you are under 18 (and you are not engaged, married or in a de facto relationship) you are automatically considered to be a 'dependent child' of your father and hence if you are holding a 457 visa you can work and your financial independence/dependence is not an issue.

Once you turn 18 you can only satisfy the conditions of the 457 if you remain as a 'dependent adult child' which means you need to rely on your father to meet your basic financial needs. In other words if your father (the main 457 holder) is the single most significant source of financial support then you are his dependant. If resulting from your income through work your father ceases to be your main source of financial support then you may in breach of the 457 conditions.

Being a secondary applicant holder of a 457 does have the advantage that some education providers (eg TAFE WA Colleges) classify you as a 'local' student and hence you can enjoy unrestricted study opportunities and only pay local fees. I'm unsure whether this applies in the other States.

if you wish to go fully independent a Working Holiday Visa (417) may be the way to go but be aware that it has some restrictions with regard to study opportunities.

Being a secondary applicant holder of a 457 does have the advantage that some education providers (eg TAFE WA Colleges) classify you as a 'local' student and hence you can enjoy unrestricted study opportunities and only pay local fees.

Applies to VET mainstream courses only.

https://www.tafeinternational.wa.edu.au/Documents/visa-subclass-guide-vet.pdf

TAFE Higher Education courses have a different fee structure.

https://www.tafeinternational.wa.edu.au/Documents/visa-subclass-guide-higher-education.pdf

Edited by ricco56
Included links