Do i need to withdraw, before i can re-apply?

woodsey85

Hi Agents,

Was wondering if i would need to withdraw an existing visa before i can re-apply for a new visa.

Currently i am in the queue for the last remaining relative visa, queued in 2013. Due to the estimated waiting times of 40 years i am looking at some alternatives to get my residence faster.

As it stands i am on a bridging visa. I am looking at the option to apply for a partner visa.

Will I have to withdraw my current visa and then apply for the partner visa or can i apply while my current bridging visa is still active?

Many Thanks

Hi Woodsey,

You will find that there are issues about converting to any new visa given that if in Australia you no longer have a substantive visa. It's not a question of withdrawing the application but meeting the requirements for a new application for an onshore partner visa. I would suggest getting professional advice on this since there have been many Tribunal decisions on this issue and although after the Waensila decision it's possible to look at a broad range of circumstances, the Department will most likely say that you could just apply from overseas unless you've got very strong reasons against that.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi Woodsey185 -

My apologies - for some reason when I saw your message the last 2 lines re: looking at a partner visa did not display. Partner visas while holding a bridging visa, as George pointed out, can be very challenging. The Schedule 3 criteria can be very difficult to overcome especially if there are no children, health issues, or issues beyond your control involved. The bar is quite high for this particular waiver - about half of my work is representing clients who have received Schedule 3 s57 letters, and in some cases coming up with criteria that can get over the line for Sched 3 can be impossible. A big part of this is the "opinion" of the case officer, which can be hard to predict. In my experience many clients typically have a better chance at a Schedule 3 waiver at the AAT Tribunal, but this again can depend on convincing the AAT Member that there are sufficiently compelling reasons that exist for waiving the Schedule 3 criteria. It can be a long and expensive road, and if it all possible you may want to consider an offshore partner visa application to avoid the Schedule 3 process. In the end, will all depend on your particular circumstances - as George said, getting professional help and advice re: likelihood of success in these types of matters where there is no black & white requirement to meet, only a legally meaningless word such as "compelling" can be important in making an informed decision regarding how to proceed.

Best,

Mark Northam