Partner visa advice needed!

Jonp1985

I'm currently in the process of applying for a defacto partner visa. We have been together long enough to qualify for one. However, we got engaged towards the end of July and are planning to get married in April 2018. My question is this: on applying for a defacto relationship visa, would mentioning that we are engaged in the section covering commitments help our case? Or would we be told we are applying for the wrong visa and be directed to the fiancee visa instead?

Many thanks!

Hello Jonp1985,

The Department will either approve or fail your visa, but they are not in the habit of recommending other visas that you could or should have applied for instead.

If you apply for a de facto visa you will be assessed on the basis of the criteria for that visa. So as long as you can show that you satisfy the criteria (genuine relationship, have lived together for at least 12 months (there are some exceptions to this rule but you generally want to make sure that you have evidence of at least 12 months of cohabitation), you will be fine. The criteria don't say that you have to be engaged, but being engaged confirms that you are in a serious relationship and that your intentions are to remain together into the future, so yes, by all means do mention this, especially in your statement about your relationship.

I hope that helps?

Cheerio,

Veronika

MARN: 0301155

I'm currently in the process of applying for a defacto partner visa. We have been together long enough to qualify for one. However, we got engaged towards the end of July and are planning to get married in April 2018. My question is this: on applying for a defacto relationship visa, would mentioning that we are engaged in the section covering commitments help our case? Or would we be told we are applying for the wrong visa and be directed to the fiancee visa instead?

Many thanks!

Archived