Appeal AITSL outcome

Laoibhse

AITSL completed my assessment for Special Needs Teacher (ANZSCO 241511) and I was deemed unsuitable. I completed a B.Ed primary teaching degree in Ireland (three years). In conjunction to this I also completed an Advanced Diploma in Special Ed. Needs part time one year qualification with Leeds Met University.

I was deemed unsuitable as the application did not include at least one year full time study (or part time equivalent) of special education resulting in award of a formal qualification.

Is there any way I could appeal this result or any alternative courses I could add on in order to satisfy AITSL requirements.

Thanks in advance

I was deemed unsuitable as the application did not include at least one year full time study (or part time equivalent) of special education resulting in award of a formal qualification.

Thanks in advance

Special Ed is an important area and appears to have growing demand in Australia in both the public (State Funded) and Independent (Privately Funded) education sectors.

In my opinion there are no grounds for appeal as AITSL requires at least a four year degree (or equivalent), including the one year of full time study in the special education area.

I would recommend that you consider a Masters program (at least one year full time equivalent) in the Special Ed area. Note that AITSL also require at least 45 days of supervised teaching practice as part of the formal teaching qualification so I presume they will consider the supervised practice which may have formed part of your BEd and Advanced Diploma in Special Ed. If you don't already have the 45 days supervised practice you may need to target a Masters program which provides the opportunity for this.

Archived