189 visa process - advice sought

Jonesy

Hi,

Just looking for advice with applying for a 189 skilled visa.

My story is as follows -

I've been in Melbourne for nearly 4years on a 457 visa - employer did not go for sponsoring me on the ENS route and left me with 6 months to sort it out myself.

So I've got my Trade assessment done, my IELTS done with a score high enough to award me points bringing my EOI points to 65 which was enough for me to get my invitation to apply for this visa.

However my 457 expires on the 26th July and its now the 20th - knowing time was short, my employment has ended with my employer as I would not have had a valid visa to work/stay and I have booked a flight back to the UK next week in order to not overstay.

My main question is - should I use a visa/migrant agent to help me with my application. I understand that they are more familiar with the process and will maybe have my application more prepared than I will doing it myself but with a cost of $4000 I don't know if its value for money. After being assigned a case officer, is it not just back and forth until its ready to be processed ?

Many thanks for any advice.

Would need more data, however based on what you've said, if you apply for your visa now by accepting your invitation, you'll get a bridging visa immediately and be able to remain in Australia when your 457 expires as the bridging visa would cover your stay here.

Re: agent, the main things that can go wrong with skilled visas are inaccurate calculation of points, lack of appropriate documentation for work experience, and timing problems (ie, IELTS, etc not completed at time of invitation). If you didn't want to have an agent assist you through the entire process, you might consider having an agent review your EOI and application to avoid potential points issues and perhaps review the documentation you planned to submit to justify whatever other points you're claiming.

Hope this helps -

Best,

Mark Northam

Archived