Electrical Engineer/Technician Skill Select/Visa Help

Hi all

Me and my partner visited Australia for 3 weeks in December and loved it! I have always thought about the idea of moving to Aus and I have decided after visiting it is definitley something I would like to look into, and my partner is keen too.

I am an Electrical Engineer (although I don't think I could be classed as an engineer in Australia but more on that later) working in high and low voltage electricity distribution in London, I have been employed in my current role for 2 and a half years but have prior experience in transmission and power generation of 5-6 years. Before working my way up to be an engineer I was an Electrical Maintenance Technician and completed a 4 year apprenticeship so I have experience on the tools.

My highest qualification is a Foundation Degree in Electrical Power Engineering - I believe that this is the equivalent to a Australian Advanced Diploma? Looking on the internet this would allow me to be recognised as an Engineering Associate with Engineers Australia (but no higher as I do not have a degree).

I have a few questions (infact lots but i'll only put a few to start with...):

1. On the Skilled Occupation List I can either choose from Electrical Engineer or Electrical Engineering Technician, but as I do not have a degree can I choose Electrical Engineer?

2. Would I need to get my qualification approved for Engineering Associate by Engineers Australia before submitting an Expression of Interest for a 189 visa?

3. What type of work can I get if recognised as an Engineering Associate?

4. Do potential employers really look at the Skill Select pool of EOI's, or is this just something that was intended but never happened?

5. I would get 75 points for a 189 visa, would this push me high up the potential pool of EOI's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dan

I have a few questions (infact lots but i'll only put a few to start with...):

1. On the Skilled Occupation List I can either choose from Electrical Engineer or Electrical Engineering Technician, but as I do not have a degree can I choose Electrical Engineer?

2. Would I need to get my qualification approved for Engineering Associate by Engineers Australia before submitting an Expression of Interest for a 189 visa?

3. What type of work can I get if recognised as an Engineering Associate?

4. Do potential employers really look at the Skill Select pool of EOI's, or is this just something that was intended but never happened?

5. I would get 75 points for a 189 visa, would this push me high up the potential pool of EOI's?

Hi Dan

1. Indeed there my be a third related occupation (Electrical engineering draftsperson 312311) depending on the nature of your experience.

It would be worth researching the Engineer and Associate roles as described under the ANZSCO classifications.

UNIT GROUP 2333 ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS

See http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/3F99E8C17A22EC4FCA257B9500130FFB?opendocument

UNIT GROUP 3123 ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING DRAFTSPERSONS AND TECHNICIANS

See

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/67CFD7358DFD24DACA257B95001310E6?opendocument

2. If you wish to seek skills recognition as an Electrical Engineer or ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING DRAFTSPERSON then Engineers Australia is the assessment authority. If you are seeking skills assessment as an Electrical Engineering Technician then TRA (Trades Recognition Australia) is the assessment authority. This is a reflection of the fact that Electrical Engineering Technicians generally need to hold an appropriate Electrical License and hence have come through an apprenticeship path with post-trade training and experience. In all cases getting a positive skills assessment is the first step towards submitting an EOI through SkillSelect.

3. An Associate may pick up roles such as Technical Officer, Technician, Draftsperson (not exhaustive).

4. SkillSelect is only one source for employers. It is not essential for either potential employees or employers to use SkillSelect to identify candidates for sponsored/nominated positions. You may wish to identify potential employers through other means and contact them directly as to their interest in sponsoring you as an employee.

5. 75 is a competitive score for your occupations of interest in the current round. Many applicants with a score of 60 were successful in receiving an invitation. This means that all applicants (in the relevant occupations) with scores above 60 received an invitation.

Hope this helps you in your decision making.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]