Is it worth doing a vendor certificate?

shanners

Hello,

I currently have a total of 60 points and have lodged my EOI 4th June 2015 - Systems Analyst 261112

Age - 25

Eng - 20

Exp - 15 - obtained through RPL (total of 16+ years work experience - skilled met date of Jan 2007)

I see that certain vendor certifications are accepted by the ACS as comparable to graduate outcomes of anICT major at the AQF Diploma level.

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets...Applicants.pdf

And that depending on whether the certificate was considered closely related or NOT related - a certain number of years' work experience would be deducted. (5 or 6 years)

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets...teria-2014.pdf

My question is;

If I were to obtain a vendor certification now (recognised by ACS) do I need the 5 or 6 years work experience required AFTER I obtain this certification?

Or would my previous work experience still be considered?

Basically, due to the current situation with my category, I am thinking about doing this to claim the additional qualification points.

I would really appreciated some advice if anyone can offer.

I'm starting to lose hope of getting an invitation with 60 points as cut off still 70.

Many thanks

As you have already received positive skills assessment with a skilled met date of Jan 2007 all relevant experience since that time counts towards your points score for experience.

According to the relevant policy advice manuals any subsequent qualification obtained, even if it is wholly or partly based on your work experience (eg RPL), does not detract from your points score for experience.

Hence you can boost your overall points score by obtaining a formal qualification, particularly if it is a qualification under the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) eg ICA50111 Diploma of Information Technology (DIT).

Although some vendor certifications can contribute to skills sets within the Diploma (see ICA11 Training Package content via training.gov.au) it is highly unlikely that a Diploma would be issued based on vendor certifications alone.

It would be advisable to clarify the full requirements for a Diploma and confirming how vendor certifications contribute by discussing the issue with a Registered Training Provider (RTO).

ACS are registered to issue the ICA50111 Diploma of Information Technology (DIT) (see http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/13725/Diploma-of-IT-Information-Guide-2013-14.11-12.pdf ) as are many other Australian training providers (see training.gov.au for full RTO list).

Thanks very much for your reply Richard,

I am hoping to obtain a Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer certification which is named on the ACS 'Vendor Certifications' in the Skills Assessment Guidelines for Applicants

The aim is to then be eligible for an additional 10 points under 'An award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation' as per border.gov.au

The thing that concerns me is this paragraph - from ACS skills assessment guidelines

The Skill Level Requirement Met Date is dependent on the completion of both the relevantqualification and relevant work experience.If your work experience is completed before the completion date of your qualification, the Skill LevelRequirement Met Date will be determined by the earliest date that both the relevant work experienceand the qualification are completed.

Its rather confusing as it implies they will move my skilled met date to when I complete the certification.

As I would have to send my certificate off to ACS for another assessment to claim the points I'm concerned this will in turn lose me my experience points and put me in a worse position points wise.

Your advice on this would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi Shanners,

Yes that's right, if you apply for a further skills assessment to claim the 10 points for a vendor certification then your deeming date will be changed and you stand to lose your work experience points. Ric was suggesting that you obtain an Australian diploma - which could be done through the recognition of prior learning procedure - to get the 10 points for a qualification.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Schedule 6 – General points test for General Skilled Migration visas.

Extract from Section 6D.7 Educational qualifications

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]6D73[/TD]

[TD]: met the requirements for the award of a diploma by an Australian educational institution

[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6D75:[/TD]

[TD]attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority for the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation as being suitable for the occupation

[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The extract above comes directly from the relevant Legislation (my apologies for the formatting) and shows that there are two possible paths to earn the additional 10 points based on formal qualifications or awards. It’s always best to look at the original legislation as the summary in border.gov.au loses detail in translation.

Under item 6D73 obtaining a Diploma (recognised under the AQF framework) earns 10 points irrespective of whether the Diploma is relevant to your occupational field. So a recognised Diploma (AQF 5) issued in any subject area will do.

Under 6D75 the award or qualification must be recognised as being suitable by the relevant assessing authority (in this case the ACS) before these additional points can be awarded.

I’ve sought some written advice from ACS as to how vendor certification may contribute towards the issues in 6D73 and 6D75 above.

I’ll keep you posted on any responses.

Archived