A small piece of advice needed

Stuart Proud

Hi, I am at the stage where my employer is going to nominate me for PR subclass 186 having completed 2 years on the 457 with them.

I understand that they have to nominate me for this before I can lodge an application. Do they need an immi account to do this or do I do it from mine.

Also whilst I am here can anyone provide me with a simple checklist of documents I need to prepare? I gather I will need a Police check from the UK and Australia.

TIA

Stu

Hi Stu -

Great questions. The subclass 186 ENS employer sponsored permanent residence visa application, under the TRT pathway (applicant spends 2 years on 457 visa for nominating employer) is an online application. As some employer information is required that the employer may consider is confidential, frequently the employer will lodge the nomination part of the application themselves on their own ImmiAccount. However if the employer chooses to allow the visa applicant to prepare and lodge the nomination, that's fine too - the choice is the employer's. There is no requirement that the nomination and visa application parts of the 186 application must be done from the same ImmiAccount. The visa application can be lodged after the nomination is lodged - some applicants wait until the nomination is approved to lodge the visa application part of the 186, however this is not required and you could lodge your application after lodging the nomination (but before the nomination is decided). The risk in doing it this way is that if the nomination is refused, it puts the visa application fees paid to DIBP at risk. However if the applicant needs a bridging visa to remain in Australia (ie, current visa expiring soon), many applicants lodge the visa application after lodging the nomination application.

Re: document checklist, there are detailed checklists for both the nomination and visa application parts of the application available on the DIBP site at http://border.gov.au

Hope this helps -

Best,

Mark Northam

• 3 weeks later...

Archived