confused

i'm confused by what i have read and what my agent is suggesting and seeing as so much money is involved i thought id do a bit more digging! I am a nurse, my qualification is a nursing diploma, the agent has said i need to do the English test, my brother in law doesn't think that is correct. He said that people who have done an English degree don't need to do the test. Now obviously i don't have a degree, but i have attended an English university. I was also born and educated in England and my family are all British.

The documents they have provided also mentioned that the agents will support the application process for registration to the Australian Nursing board and 'present' me to potential employers, however, i have read on this forum that this is not a normal practice. That agents aren't normally involved in helping find employment. Is this true or is it different for Nurses / skilled workers?

Hi Victoria,

It would be unprofessional for an RMA to comment publicly on another agent's work so I won't respond to what you're being told by the agent. Suggest you put your questions in the general forum. FWIW not many registered migration agents are also involved in recruitment but it can happen. I assume you've found this link: https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/i-am-a-nurse-how-can-i-work-in-australia . This might also help: http://www.ramsayjobs.com.au/Overseas-Nurses/Migrating-to-Australia.aspx .

Cheers,

George Lombard

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi Victoria,

I am presuming from your message that you are contemplating Independent Skilled Migration - a subclass 189 visa.

Under subregulation 1.15C(2), if you hold a valid UK passport you will satisfy the requirement for a 189 visa of having competent English.

However you could gain additional points for the points test if you can show that your English language skills are either at a proficient or superior level, you can do that by taking an approved English language test such as the "IELTS".

The question of whether your current migration agent would support you with the registration process or with presenting you to employers is a matter that you would need to discuss with your existing agent.

Yours faithfully,

Michael Arch

Principal, Concordia Pacific

i'm confused by what i have read and what my agent is suggesting and seeing as so much money is involved i thought id do a bit more digging! I am a nurse, my qualification is a nursing diploma, the agent has said i need to do the English test, my brother in law doesn't think that is correct. He said that people who have done an English degree don't need to do the test. Now obviously i don't have a degree, but i have attended an English university. I was also born and educated in England and my family are all British.

The documents they have provided also mentioned that the agents will support the application process for registration to the Australian Nursing board and 'present' me to potential employers, however, i have read on this forum that this is not a normal practice. That agents aren't normally involved in helping find employment. Is this true or is it different for Nurses / skilled workers?

Hi Victoria

George has provided a link to Ramsey Health Care which an excellent source of recruitment information. Ramsey are one of the larger private health services in Australia (and in the UK). As a consequence they have well developed processes for recruiting overseas nurses and because of the scale of their business they retain their own in-house migration agents.

You are possibly aware that in Australia many nurses work in Government funded hospitals (equivalent to the UK's NHS) and are employed by the health authorities in each of the States and Territories. Each state therefore has its own recruitment programs an example (for Western Australia) of which is shown in the extract below. Note WA (and possibly the other states) have representation in London and therefore it would be in your interest to contact them if you haven't already done so to discuss opportunities.

Best of luck.

http://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Careers/International-applicants/Nursing-and-midwifery-careers

Health's International Workforce Supply Bureau (IWSB) London office facilitates targeted sourcing and recruitment strategies, within the UK and Ireland market, to fill the in-demand and specialty workforce requirements for WA Health.Nurses and midwives in the UK or Ireland can speak with a WA Health representative based in London about employment opportunities in Western Australia. Please contact the WA Government (European Office) on +44 0207 395 0575.

Archived