Visa 190 Requirements

Archi Stu

Hi,

I am currently undergoing the Vetassess process, having applied under what I thought best fit my qualifications (Building Associate) I have been advised by my assessor I should be re-assessed under the 'Architectural Draftsperson' role. As I am applying for a 190visa this affects where I can apply.

My intention was to head to Victoria which lists the Building Associate but not Architectural Draftsperson...Tasmania is the only place listing the draftsperson role, so my question is about the requirement to reside in the state of sponsor for a minimum of 2 years.

I have read lots of different posts some saying its just a preference, but not enforceable. I hope to eventually achieve citizenship as my girlfriend is from Queensland and we'd like to get on with our lives, so I don't want to jeopardise anything down the line. The reason we haven't gone for the spousal visa is time and cost which are really prohibitive for us...

Does anyone have experience of living in a different state to their sponsor and achieving citizenship or is an agent and can advise if this is possible? We're finding this a real struggle to understand how best to move forward...

Thanks for any help!

Hi Blighty -

The commitment you make to your sponsoring state is more than a preference, it's a commitment - sometimes a contractual commitment depending on the state - to that state. While I have never heard of a breach of that commitment being used to scuttle a citizenship application and have never heard of a state trying to enforce that commitment in court, doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

If you or anyone finds themselves in a situation where they have been sponsored by a state and are unable to find suitable work in that state, suggest fully documenting a good-faith, extensive job search prior to giving up and looking in another state. This type of evidence could be very helpful if questions are ever asked later on about why you did not fulfill the 2 year commitment.

Hope this helps -

Best,

Mark Northam

Hi Blighty,

I'd just add to Mark's comment that Tasmania is a small place and in general I don't think they do much sponsoring unless you've got some sort of job offer, and in fact it might end up being better to go down the partner route despite the cost.

On the question of moving between states after sponsorship, there was a very colourful post on that issue here by a long-term PIO member, Gollywobbler. Worth digging that up if you can.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Archived