Experience without qualifications skilled visa possible?

spencertinson

skilled visa 189So i am from the uk, 31 and on the skilled visa list for this year and next as a general motor mechanic, BUT i do not have any qualifications, the only thing i have is 6 years straight experience in the trade, and i am also a certified MOT tester (same as road worthy check type of thing here in aus). i think if i have looked correctly that i need to take a skills assessment test to be able to apply for this visa right!, and from what i can make out i need relevant qualifications to be able to pass this thing.can i not do this without the qualifications and just go by my experienced years?.any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Yes it is possible to seek skills assessment based on trade experience gained as an employee.

The relevant assessment authority in the case of Motor Mechanic (General) 321211 is Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

TRA in turn subcontract to Vetassess to provide skills assessment and recognition services for UK based candidates like yourself.

Vetassess are the RTO (Registered Training Organisation) approved by TRA to provide assessments in your particular trade area.

The Vetassess website at https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-assessment-for-migration/trade-occupations provides some introductory background on the

assessment process.

In particular the link to the videos are particularly informative and provide great examples of the use of Australian language.

The first video (Stage 1) confirms that Vetassess consider 5 years continuous/recent experience as an alternative to formal trade qualifications.

Note Vetassess provide an advisory service, the cost of which is discounted from any subsequent fees paid for assessment services. Could be a good investment.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavours.

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

Work experience:

It is important to appreciate that although it may be possible to receive an Australian qualification based on competency demonstrated through work experience, the assessment authority will make a judgment as to how much of that work experience contributed to your training, versus how much could be classed as 'post qualification'. The best possible scenario for you would be that the authority makes a judgment that the first 3 years of your 6 years experience was for training, and the remaining 3 years was equivalent to 'post qualification' experience. Under the points system you only start to earn work experience points for periods of at least 36 months (3 years) 'post qualification' experience. Experience during the 'training' period does not earn points.

English language issues:

Obtaining 20 points requires that you demonstrate 'Superior English'. Do not under estimate how challenging this could be. It will require careful planning and preparation.

Archived