Temporary Graduate Visa query

kkaattyy

I am currently enrolled on an 18 month Masters course at Monash Uni and have been told that this course falls short of the 2 year requirement needed for the Temporary graduate visa (485). However I have heard from a few people that because my course is still a full time course completed over 4 semesters (24 credit points per semester- 96 in total) I may still be able to apply for this visa.

Any kind of clarification would be so helpful- Thank You.

There are a number of requirements to satisfy the Australian Study Requirement for 485.

The course itself must be registered as requiring at least two academic years of study (at least 92 weeks) as listed in cricos.education.gov.au

and

your completion of the program must have taken at least 16 calendar months.

The legislation only mentions weeks when describing course length and does not discuss credit points. Therefore you will have possibly satisfied the 16 month minimum so your eligibility will depend on the registered length of the course in cricos.

Hi Katy,

Richard's advice is correct.

The issue is whether you pass the Australian study requirement in reg. 1.15F .

Look for your course on CRICOS at http://cricos.education.gov.au/ . If your course is listed at 92 weeks or more, you're in luck (but be careful not to claim the full 92 weeks if your course includes credits for previous study, in that kind of situation it's calculated pro rata).

Cheers,

George Lombard

Archived