309 Visa application from London

Couchman

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help answer a few questions I have regarding applying for the 309 visa. I am British and my partner is Australian, we have been living together for a year by ourselves and 3.5 years with my family. We have been through the de facto process in the UK before and have been successful, however we both want to return to Australia now.

We have joint bank accounts, joint leases and utility bills, stat decs from Australian friends and family etc. We are aiming to submit an application in July and from processing times are looking at a 12 month offshore waiting period. We are both keen on doing a bit of travel before we get back to Australia and wondered if we needed to be back at our UK address to pick up any documents or if I can be in say Japan when we get a verdict and enter that way and have any paperwork from our application sent back to my parents in the UK?

Regarding Police checks, can you front load your application with a UK police check or is it best to wait until requested to complete the police and medical checks?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice that can be given.

Regarding Police checks, can you front load your application with a UK police check or is it best to wait until requested to complete the police and medical checks?

People used to front load the police checks and medicals back in the day. But as both of these are only valid for 12 months, it is not worth doing that any more with the current visa processing times.

Just to mention, check and see how far in advance you can get stat decs done. I'm sure when I did my application they needed to be dated no more than 6 weeks or so before lodging. Could not be done so many months ahead as needed to be recent evidence iykwim.

Just to mention, check and see how far in advance you can get stat decs done. I'm sure when I did my application they needed to be dated no more than 6 weeks or so before lodging. Could not be done so many months ahead as needed to be recent evidence iykwim.

I'm sure I remember being told by our MA told that this requirement was only for onshore applications. In any case, we submitted some really old ones with our first stage, and when we asked the CO if she wanted them re-done (I think they were over a year old by the time we got a CO!) she said they were fine.

Archived