Police Certificate Advice

Penny88

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm looking for a little advice regarding Police Certificates. I lived in Australia with my parents for 6 years as a teenager, moving back to the UK when I was 17. So I meet the criteria for having lived there for >12 months since the age of 16, but we left the country in Jan 2006 so it is also more than 10 years ago now.

The immigration website makes two different statements, firstly on the 189 visa document checklist;

"an Australian National Police Check for anyone who has spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age"

Then within the visa support section of the website;

"If you are over the age of 16 and have lived in any of the countries listed on this page for a total of one year or more in the last 10 years, you must get a police certificate from that country." (Australia is listed on the page)

So I'm a little confused as to whether I will need to obtain an Aus police check alongside my UK one or not. Has anyone else found themselves in a similar scenario, and if so, was the Aus check required?

I'm hoping to try and get the visa process covered asap, so want all my documentation lined up ahead of time so I can just submit when/if we receive an invitation. Otherwise, I would just wait and see what the case officer requested.

Thanks!

Archived