Spousal visa - fast work permit?

BlueKangaroo

My Australian husband (of 20 years) and 2 children (all currently uk residents) have work/schools lined up in oz for April. This has all come about very suddenly and I haven't even started my spousal visa application yet (I've never lived in oz). My company will find me a role in oz as soon as I'm ready to go. Is there any option for me to go out with them in April and work?

I think I could go and apply for my spousal visa when I get there, but I assume I won't have any work rights until it's granted which could be 12 - 15 months, is that correct?

If you apply on shore for a partner visa then you go onto a bridging visa once the tourist visa expires (which would be 3 months). On the bridging visa you then get full work rights.

Grant time on shore is running at about 12-15 months and given the length of time you have been together you would go straight to PR.

Hopefully you have UK citizenship so should you want to return to the UK to live in future you are able to with ease. Without it and once indefinite leave to remain has lapsed for the UK its a very expensive visa to get you back in. Its catching a lot of people out.

Archived