partner visa issue

alison

Hi,im currently in Australia on an eta visa my Australia partner and i are getting married next month and are applying for a partner visa,we have been an item for nearly a year and i spent 3 months with him in october before returning home then coming back here 2 weeks ago,we knew each other 20 years ago.When i got the forms through yesterday my heart sank when i saw they asked about any overstays,23 years ago in 1993 i stupidly overstayed a whv by 18 months,its so long ago i cant remember exactly the dates but i went to immigration was granted a bridging visa for around 2 months and went home,i was excluded for year and was allowed straight back after,i returned to see friends then went home and never returned until last october.at the time i was in a relationship and didnt want t leave my boyfriend,a stupid thing to do but i was young and once i had overstayed i buried my head in the sand and hoped it would go away.I never dreamt 20 years down the line i would fall in love with an Aussie and that the overstay would have serious reprocussions.Can anyone give me some advise as to whether this will mean i fail the character test when we apply for our visa im worried sick,thanks

Hi,im currently in Australia on an eta visa my Australia partner and i are getting married next month and are applying for a partner visa,we have been an item for nearly a year and i spent 3 months with him in october before returning home then coming back here 2 weeks ago,we knew each other 20 years ago.When i got the forms through yesterday my heart sank when i saw they asked about any overstays,23 years ago in 1993 i stupidly overstayed a whv by 18 months,its so long ago i cant remember exactly the dates but i went to immigration was granted a bridging visa for around 2 months and went home,i was excluded for year and was allowed straight back after,i returned to see friends then went home and never returned until last october.at the time i was in a relationship and didnt want t leave my boyfriend,a stupid thing to do but i was young and once i had overstayed i buried my head in the sand and hoped it would go away.I never dreamt 20 years down the line i would fall in love with an Aussie and that the overstay would have serious reprocussions.Can anyone give me some advise as to whether this will mean i fail the character test when we apply for our visa im worried sick,thanks

I wouldn't have thought that it would make much difference now. It was 23 years ago. You've served your ban from entering the country and you were granted other visas subsequently.

We were all young and we have all been guilty of doing stupid things, I wouldn't let it worry you at all. If you are uncertain and still worry then have a chat with a registered migration agent. You can find one at http://www.mara.gov.au or you might get a rough idea from one of the agents that are members here. @wrussell @Alan Collett @Raul Senise

Archived