Shipping house contents on a 12 month tourist visa

Lisa Lou

Hi all,

We have decided to bite the bullett and move to Oz on a 12 month tourist visa while waiting for our CPV 143 to be granted which should be approximately 6 months later. I am trying to find out if we will be permitted to ship our belongings when we go even though we will not be permanent residents.

Any advise would be a great help

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Youre just in front of me in the queue, we also lodged in June. I seem to recall seeing something on an earlier thread that said that until you have permanent residence you will not be able to import your personal effects without having to pay a huge amount of import tax. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

I see from your signature details thay you haven't heard about medicals, it's so frustrating, like you we just want it all sorted now, had enough of waiting.

Julie

I think that is correct re shipping. The shippers will want to see either an Aus passport or visa grant with either a temp 4 year or PR visa for legal reasons the Aus end. Least the ones I spoke with did.

Hi Julie,

Thanks for confirming what we thought was correct. If this is the case we may as well start from scratch once there rather than put everything in storage .

By the way if only we were as far along in the waiting game as you but it was only June 2015 our application went in so a very long wait for us.

Lisa

Hi Julie,

Thanks for confirming what we thought was correct. If this is the case we may as well start from scratch once there rather than put everything in storage .

By the way if only we were as far along in the waiting game as you but it was only June 2015 our application went in so a very long wait for us.

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Being in the waiting room this long has obviously made me blind!

Good luck with your plans and a happy future Downunder.

Julie

Most countries do require you to have your Visa before they will allow entry of goods, but I believe Australia is an exception to the rule.

I asked this question of our Australian partners in February 2015 as we had a customer with a similar query and they said that regardless of visa (tourist/temp or permanent) imports are allowed duty free provided all the items are used and over 1 year old.

Your moving company if you go down the route of getting quotes should be able to provide more detail and clarification if you ask them. Hope that helps!

Most countries do require you to have your Visa before they will allow entry of goods, but I believe Australia is an exception to the rule.

I asked this question of our Australian partners in February 2015 as we had a customer with a similar query and they said that regardless of visa (tourist/temp or permanent) imports are allowed duty free provided all the items are used and over 1 year old.

Your moving company if you go down the route of getting quotes should be able to provide more detail and clarification if you ask them. Hope that helps!

Hi

Archived