Which visa? Prospective Marriage 300 or Partner 309?

Angela3043

Hi everyone....I want to apply to move to Australia from the UK to marry my partner who is British and an Australian Permanent Resident. My partner will be sponsoring me. I have the option to apply for the Prospective Marriage 300 visa and to marry within 9 mths of it being granted. Or I could apply for the Partner 309 visa which allows us to marry whilst awaiting visa approval. Anyone have any experience or views on if one route is faster/easier/cheaper? Immigration say 10-14 mths for the 300 visa but I haven't enquired about the 309 time.

Any help appreciated as it's just a mine field!

Also is there a way to prove our twice-daily Skype conversations?

Many thanks in advance

Angela

If you meet the requirements of the partner visa then that route makes sense to me. But if you don't, then don't chance it. Apply for the 300 PMV and go that route as the requirements are far less, you need only have met, not prove you have a de facto relationship for 12 months plus prior to applying.

Twice daily Skype convos don't really amount to much if trying to prove de facto. It just means you've talked a lot. Its having proper ties to one another, a shared life, bills, being named in wills or life insurance and so on, that is de facto.

Have you actually met?

The 300 and 309 both take about 10-14 months at present.

Thanks for your reply...yes we have met. We were friends at school in England in the 1980s, my partner emigrated to Australia in 1984 and has been there since. We met up again on social networking 3 years ago and have been in a long distance relationship since. I've been to Oz twice, due to go again in Feb 2016 and my partner has been to UK (his parents are here). We've also been to Vietnam together. Proper ties are difficult to prove living so far apart as we have no shared finances at present. Got some statutory decs done, named him in my will, copies of historic travel docs, photos, personal statements and need to sort marriage celebrant for dates and paperwork.

Have certified copies of my personal documents (as the applicant)...do you know if personal docs of the sponsor need also to be certified?

thanks again!

I would honestly be concerned that you don't meet the requirements of a partner visa. At the moment, you do sound like you are committed but I'd say your actual supporting evidence is thin. Holidays, pictures together, travel documentation and visiting one another are not really the de facto evidence they are looking for. That could be done by anyone dating or friends even.

Keep in mind stat decs have a shelf life validity wise. When I did my visa I think it was 6 or 8 weeks from when they were witnessed.

I'd say you'd be fine for a PMV 300 and would go that route if you are applying yourself. You can then apply for the partner visa once you are married and this would then be far more straightforward off the back of the PMV and getting married.

IIRC yes the documents like BC, PP etc for the sponsor need to be certified. He should do that his end.

Really helpful, thank you. Have decided on the PMV 300 route. Presumably whilst waiting I can still apply for and travel to Australia on an E-visitor 3 month visa? As I am applying myself and not using a Migration Agent how will I know when approval is imminent? I understand I have to be offshore when PMV is approved.