489 & Soon-to-Expire Skills Assessment

Hi there,

Our skills assessment expires end April 2016 and we're 5 points short of the 190 (Vic SS), so are wondering if we should try for a 489 (Adelaide). At what point in the process does the skills assessment need to be valid? Can we do the EOI and then have it expire, or need to wait for SA to nominate us and THEN it can expire, or does it have to remain valid until Skill Select give us our ITA and we make the actual 489 visa application? If it runs out at any of these points, will they give us extra time (more than the 60 days) to get a new one done and, if we fail a new one, can we get a refund on the fee?

Thanks in advance,

I-F

As far as I'm aware, and I don't know this for certain, the skills assessment must be valid at least up to the time of invitation.

There's no provision for any refunds unfortunately.

Might be worth running this one past a registered migration agent for a definitive answer.

As far as I'm aware, and I don't know this for certain, the skills assessment must be valid at least up to the time of invitation.

There's no provision for any refunds unfortunately.

Might be worth running this one past a registered migration agent for a definitive answer.

So it's EOI first, then state nomination, then what?

(Thanks by the way ;-))

So it's EOI first, then state nomination, then what?

(Thanks by the way ;-))

For 489, it's then a wait for the fortnightly invitation rounds.

For 190 once the nomination has come through, then that's an automatic invitation.

Once you have the invitation then you can apply for the visa, pay the fee, upload the supporting evidential documents, get medicals and police certificates and then wait for the visa to be processed.

Thanks Captain C. We think it'll take my husband several attempts at the PET to achieve 'superior' as he's very anxious about the speaking part and not starting until after Xmas (he's got to sit his CCT Crest exam again in December as it's almost expired), so I guess we'll end up having to redo the skills anyway...

Archived