Hmrc debt

LFC al

Hi,

I'm along way off emigrating at the moment but I have quite a large debt with hmrc that I am paying back each week.

Unfortunately I'm not and won't be in a position to settle the debt prior to hopefully emigrating.

I'm wondering if I can continue to pay as currently arranged and how would they review my circumstances once moved to Australia.

Also could this stop me from emigrating?

Sorry for all the questions

LFC

Australia will only care about any debt you owe Australia.

You would be able to pay the UK HRMC once you arrive in Australia. Another option (but please don;t think I am recommending this) is you declare yourself bankrupt in the UK, just before you emigrate to Aus. Naturally, this is assuming you are making a very definite one way trip (and remember, many people think that only to return to the UK a year or two down the line).

My point really being, that Australia will not care about your UK credit score / credit rating.....

But a simple answer is that YES, you would be able to repay the uk HRMC from Aus.

LFC

Australia will only care about any debt you owe Australia.

You would be able to pay the UK HRMC once you arrive in Australia. Another option (but please don;t think I am recommending this) is you declare yourself bankrupt in the UK, just before you emigrate to Aus. Naturally, this is assuming you are making a very definite one way trip (and remember, many people think that only to return to the UK a year or two down the line).

My point really being, that Australia will not care about your UK credit score / credit rating.....

But a simple answer is that YES, you would be able to repay the uk HRMC from Aus.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure I'd apply for bankruptcy as we would have profit from the sale of our home but we would need that to get started in Australia and hopefully towards a deposit to a new home after a few years.

Archived