189 visa - solicitor

HelB

Are there any lawyers out there who have gone down the independent PR route rather than employer-sponsored?

I'm just wondering about the skilled employment requirement... I have assumed that my work in the UK and Australia as a lawyer prior to being admitted in NSW counts as skilled employment but the LPAB's skills assessment letter doesn't say anything about it.

How do you get confirmation that those years count as skilled employment? Does time as a trainee lawyer count?

Thanks!

Hi there. Yes I have - recently got my 189 visa grant.

I was lucky enough not to need to try and claim any points for work experience (Took IELTS which gave me the extra points I needed). Might be worth running your experience by a migration agent to see what their thoughts are.

Good luck with the process :)

Hi there. Yes I have - recently got my 189 visa grant.

I was lucky enough not to need to try and claim any points for work experience (Took IELTS which gave me the extra points I needed). Might be worth running your experience by a migration agent to see what their thoughts are.

Good luck with the process :)

i have taken English test too. Did you have points for study then? I did the law subjects required by the LPAB but I assume that doesn't give me anything in terms of points...

Work in the UK as a lawyer would count towards overseas skilled employment. Work in Australia prior to your admission as an Australian Lawyer most likely would not be counted as skilled employment in the occupation as you were not working as a local lawyer if you had not yet been admitted as such. If the work you did in Australia was in fact practise of UK law (e.g. as an Australian-registered foreign lawyer), then this may count.

Time as a trainee lawyer will depend on whether you had been admitted as a lawyer (in the jurisdiction of the traineeship) before the traineeship or only after completing the traineeship.

No points for completing the law subjects required by LPAB, unless you were in fact awarded the diploma.. but I am assuming you only did a few subjects to complete requirements for admission rather than enough for diploma to be awarded. If you have academic qualifications from UK though you will most likely be able to claim points for your UK academic qualifications.

Thanks for the replies!! I had thought I only got points for education if it was undertaken in Australia but on re-reading, I think I may be ok and can ignore employment... which would be much simpler!

• 5 months later...

Dear Killara

I am a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I am planning to apply 189 but I really do not have time to go for the lengthy requalification process into Australia. I am exploring ways to get a positive skill assessment without being admitted as a solicitor in an Australian state.

I note your views below

"An overseas legal practitioner can apply to a SLAA for an assessment of their qualifications and experience. DIBP will treat that assessment as a skills assessment (hence not necessary to be admitted as a lawyer in Australia to obtain a skills assessment). An experienced overseas legal practitioner may be able to obtain a positive skills assessment without having first been admitted as a lawyer in Australia. I have experience of this. "

This experience will be very helpful for me to see how I can find a way out. Could you please explain a bit more or chat privately?

Many thanks indeed!

• 1 year later...
Dear Killara

I am a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I am planning to apply 189 but I really do not have time to go for the lengthy requalification process into Australia. I am exploring ways to get a positive skill assessment without being admitted as a solicitor in an Australian state.

I note your views below

"An overseas legal practitioner can apply to a SLAA for an assessment of their qualifications and experience. DIBP will treat that assessment as a skills assessment (hence not necessary to be admitted as a lawyer in Australia to obtain a skills assessment). An experienced overseas legal practitioner may be able to obtain a positive skills assessment without having first been admitted as a lawyer in Australia. I have experience of this. "

This experience will be very helpful for me to see how I can find a way out. Could you please explain a bit more or chat privately?

Many thanks indeed!

Hi

Please could you let me know if you have found a way to do this as I am in the process of completing an application to have my skills assessed. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Archived