Proof of skilled employment for 189 visa

chatterbox

Hi,

I'm just about finished collecting all the paperwork for my skills assessment (finally!). I decided to have a sneaky peek at the next stage, i.e. what is required for the visa application, in the hope that my skills assessment will come back positive. I read the following on the info website:

Skilled employment: evidence of working full-time in skilled employment in the 10 years before you were invited to apply, such as:

• employment references
  • contracts, pay slips, tax returns, group certificates
  • any other documents that you provided to the relevant assessing authority to obtain your skills assessment, including any documents relating to your employment history.

Do you need to include all of these? I was hoping not to tell my work until much nearer the time, as we're planning to apply for the visa a year in advance of hopefully moving over, therefore I didn't want to have to ask my manager for a reference right now.

Also, if the reference does need to be submitted, will is definitely need to include the salary and whether it was permanent or temporary? The reason I ask is that I've really struggled to get the confirmation of employment letters for my skills assessment from my various places of work (current and previous). To have do ask them to do another letter is a bit of a nightmare (the skills assessment one didn't need salary or perm/temp). I really wish I'd looked ahead, but didn't want to overwhelm myself at the time :(

Employment references must meet the following requirements:

• be written on the official letterhead of the company or government department providing the reference;
  • the letterhead should indicate clearly the full address of the company and any telephone, fax numbers, e-mail and website addresses;
  • the name and position of the person authorised to sign the employment reference should be typed or stamped below that person’s signature;
  • the contact telephone number of the person writing the reference should be included in the letter;
  • the letter should indicate the exact period of employment (including whether permanent or temporary, full or part-time), position(s) held, the duties undertaken and the salary earned - positions should not be described by generic titles (eg. research officer, public servant) but according to the nature of the duties undertaken (eg. research chemist, accounts clerk); and
  • a payslip from your current employment should also be included – this is especially important from applicants working in government departments.t

I appreciate that I should be asking a visa agent these questions, but we'll never save up enough to go if we need to pay for that too. Thanks so much in advance - I'd be lost without this forum!

I would be interested to hear about this myself. Do you need to think you need to prove continuous employment for the full period of time you are claiming skilled employment for? It is hard if you have had a few different jobs over the years!

Good luck with it.

You have to show proof for each employment. Periods not being employed do not count.

e.g. if you worked Jan to Mar (3 months) in one job, had a 2 month break, then worked Jun to Dec (7 months) in another (or even the same) job, then you only worked for 10 months.

Only proof for employment you're claiming as skilled is required, so for example if you worked in a non-related job for a year you would not need to evidence it unless specifially asked.

I put my references, a current payslip and the skills assessment and that was enough.

I included payslips from each of my jobs - for a couple of jobs many years ago I couldn't find any payslips (or P45's) so called my tax office and they sent a letter stating the names of the companies I have worked for over the last 10-15 years along with the years I worked there and my tax code at each job. This just helps prove that I did actually work for the companies I said I did. I also had two references from my current employer along with a copy of my job description. Hope that helps!

• 7 months later...

Hi Charlie,

I am having same problem you had, I have only few Payslips and bank statements for last few month. Also don't have P45. I worked in UK for 2 years. I would really appreciate your help in getting documents to prove that I had worked for particular employer and paid a tax.

I included payslips from each of my jobs - for a couple of jobs many years ago I couldn't find any payslips (or P45's) so called my tax office and they sent a letter stating the names of the companies I have worked for over the last 10-15 years along with the years I worked there and my tax code at each job. This just helps prove that I did actually work for the companies I said I did. I also had two references from my current employer along with a copy of my job description. Hope that helps!

Archived