TRA Skills Assessment

susanbro

Sorry hun, I have no idea whether or not you would get a visa. If you post your question as a thread of your own I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be able to help you out. Only thing I would suggest is checking your skills is on the list as the new financial year kicked off yesterday and there was additions and some removals from the list. Good luck xx

Hi Susanbro,

Why was he knocked back the first time?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @PomCop he couldnt trace back his trade papers as no record is kept after 10yrs apparently. So he did the AQF 3 which is the Australian equivalent. TRA came back and said they didn't recognise the qualification or the training provider - on both scores this is nonsense lol So wait for the appeal to come back it is xx

Hi @PomCop he couldnt trace back his trade papers as no record is kept after 10yrs apparently. So he did the AQF 3 which is the Australian equivalent. TRA came back and said they didn't recognise the qualification or the training provider - on both scores this is nonsense lol So wait for the appeal to come back it is xx

Did he do the AQF III in the uk susan? Without the need for an nvq etc?

Im really confused by it all. People are telling me all sorts. I have an nvq but i didnt gain it through a formal apprenticeship. I am a time served painter and recently paid for an assesment and gained an NVQ. Do you know if this is recognised atal?

Did he do the AQF III in the uk susan? Without the need for an nvq etc?

Im really confused by it all. People are telling me all sorts. I have an nvq but i didnt gain it through a formal apprenticeship. I am a time served painter and recently paid for an assesment and gained an NVQ. Do you know if this is recognised atal?

The NVQ I presume was through OSAT? (On-Site Assessment & Training)

To get the skills assessment, you need 3 years POST qualification (dependant on the assessing authority requirements)

Recognition to Prior Learning is 5 years - but you have to be interviewed usually through webcam or on the phone with another assessing body in Australia relevant to your trade. They then award you (or don't) your trade qualification for Australia. You then need to get a skills assessment from the relevant authority

Hope that clears it up

The NVQ I presume was through OSAT? (On-Site Assessment & Training)

To get the skills assessment, you need 3 years POST qualification (dependant on the assessing authority requirements)

Recognition to Prior Learning is 5 years - but you have to be interviewed usually through webcam or on the phone with another assessing body in Australia relevant to your trade. They then award you (or don't) your trade qualification for Australia. You then need to get a skills assessment from the relevant authority

Hope that clears it up

Oh right ok. That makes sense. Thank you very much. Iv been doing it for 13 years and by the time wife and I are ready to go it will be 3 years since nvq so that should suffice. Thanks alot for that. I have spent many hours trying to work it out. Join this forum and its cleared up straight away. Lol

In short:

Option 1: If you achieve your NVQ in January 2012, you would have to wait until January 2015 before submitting your skills assessment with the relevant evidence (payslips, references, qualifications etc)

Option 2: If you don't have an NVQ but say... Have 5 years or more in the trade, you can get a thing called a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) which then gives you the Australian qualification in your trade

Once the Australian qualification has been awarded, you then have to do your Skills Assessment and submit your evidence etc

In summary: you still need a Positive Skills Assessment to be invited to apply for your visa

Someone please correct me if I am wrong - I am not an agent!

Nobbi - feel free to PM me with anything. Although I'm not an agent or anything of like, I've been studying the system for the past 3 years trying to get my head around it too!

Do you know who your assessing body will be?

Hi @nobbi & @pomcop, we haven't had the appeal back - we have another 6 weeks to wait for that.

My OH used a company called Skilling Australia who took his work history into consideration , got references etc who they contacted to verify his work history, he completed lots of theory work, similar to an NVQ & then they came up from London to Glasgow and assessed him on the job. In terms of your NVQ I can't answer that question as I don't know - sorry. xx

@nobbi, Skilling Australia does carry out the Skills Assessment for Certificate III in Painting and Decorating (CPC30611) – Painter which is what you may need for your positive Skills Assessment if you don't want to wait around for your Level 2 NVQ to go past the '3 YEARS POST QUALIFICATION' stage.

:)

@nobbie, Skilling Australia does carry out the Skills Assessment for Certificate III in Painting and Decorating (CPC30611) – Painter which is what you may need for your positive Skills Assessment if you don't want to wait around for your Level 2 NVQ to go past the '3 YEARS POST QUALIFICATION' stage.

:)

Oh ok so in theory you dont actually need an nvq atall then? Aslong as you have the relevant experience, pass the skills test and can provide evidence of you working I guess. I am actually employed as a multi trade, meaning I can do alot more than just painting. Do you know if this would help or would I just be better off sticking to the one trade?

I appreciate all the replies guys. It is abit daunting. As I said we have a while yet before we are ready. We have a small amount of debt to clear and abit of saving to do. Also we have a 4yr old son and 4 week old daughter that seem to cost a small fortune

Yes its for painting and decorating but I may also have the option to gain a multi trade maintenance nvq also. I havent agreed to doing yet solely because we plan on emigrating and I am expected to pay half the costs. Its not a great amount but if its not going to be an advantage in (hopefully) our new lives in the sun then I wont bother and just stick with what I have.

I have just been looking at the TRA Guidelines - 2.6 and it doesn't say anything about "you must have done an apprenticeship" etc - it does give you the option if you are an apprentice to get your Skills Assessment, but it doesn't stop those who aren't getting the skills assessment relevant to their occupation.

I hope that makes sense!

Full TRA guidelines here: http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Migration/Documents/33.%20TRA%20MSA%20Applicant%20Guidelines%20V9.0.pdf

Yes, total sense. Thank you. My mind is defo more at ease now. Hopefully we have all the experience and relevant qualifications. Now I can just concentrate on the money side of things for the foreseeable. Haha

Guest John from Moneycorp

Hi all

Something to consider - could be worth giving the Down Under Centre a call? (0203 376 1555), see if they can help - http://www.downundercentre.com/

They deliver TRA approved skill Assessments and have a big list of AQF111 qualifications.

Thanks

John

Hi all

Something to consider - could be worth giving the Down Under Centre a call? (0203 376 1555), see if they can help - http://www.downundercentre.com/

They deliver TRA approved skill Assessments and have a big list of AQF111 qualifications.

Thanks

John

Have you used them john?

I take it they assess you in the uk too?

Thanks mate

Guest John from Moneycorp
Have you used them john?

I take it they assess you in the uk too?

Thanks mate

Not used them myself - we work with them.

They can help if you are based in the UK - give them a call, they will be happy to provide more information.

• 2 months later...

Archived