Need help with location please... West side of melbourne or max 30 mins from Laverton...

superg

Hi Everyone,

I am a Chief Engineer in the meat processing industry. My company would be sorting out visa's for me and my fiancée / new born baby due in May. I will be based in Melbourne but responsible for my companies operations all over Australia.

Spent a fair bit of time trying to identify cost of living, where best to live etc etc.

I guess I am like others when I want value for money. My main thing to get right is having a nice house / place to live for my fiancé, baby and family when they come over. Would need to be in a safe, good environment with relatively good access to the airport. Lots of things to do and things on the doorstep for my fiancée while I am gallivanting around working.

City life is not essential and to be honest I personally would prefer to have more of a relaxed existence. I would love a three bedroomed place and plenty for my fiancée to do and keep her sane while I am away.

Would be really grateful for some information. I appreciate the search bar is my friend but it can be a real pain.

Thanks

Graham

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Graham

Welcome to the forum. Most of the Melbourne folks are tucked up in bed now as it is just after 1am.

It is a while since I've lived in Melbourne but have a look at Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes. This is where most of the families live as the housing is reasonable and it is close to the CBD. You need to check where your head office is located though if it's in the CBD then the West is fine but if it was in the SE ie around Dandenong then I would look at living in Berwick or the Peninsula

Guest The Pom Queen

Just noticed you mentioned Laverton so I guess this is company HQ, ok so yes look at Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes now these are new areas but they have grown since we were down that way and have a lot more facilities than they use to. There are lots of live at home mums as well so hopefully your wife would gain friends pretty quick. These are new housing areas if you prefer an older property but more expensive look at Williamstown it is lovely. In my opinion I would be avoiding Sunshine, known to the locals as Scumshine.

We are moving over in April (with 2 boys 3&1) initially staying in Sydenham which I believe is about half an hour from Laverton. Nice area, fairly quiet, next to the train station and Watergardens shopping centre within walking distance. Houses are reasonably priced and spacious. We had a drive through Caroline Springs while we were there in October, it looks a fairly nice place with a new shopping centre and a decent amount of new build housing.

Hope that helps.

Anyone got any thoughts on Caroline Springs? I'm also looking at closeness to airport and also ability to get right round the bay if the job I've applied for progresses. Looks similar price-wise to Point Cook but not right on the bay

Hi, i used to live in Caroline Springs back in 2007, it used to take me 40 mins to drive to South Melbourne for a 6am start, and longer to get home. It was still developing back then so was a good place to start. Easy to get to airport if you take the Calder short cut. Not sure about public transport now but it had limited buses and no train station back then. Another advantage of the location is its a straight run up to Bacchus Marsh and Ballaratt.

Thanks for all your responses...

Been on realestate.com.au and looked up some of the areas. Sanctuary Lakes looks awesome value.... Apologies if this comes across wrong but a far few of the places on the realestate.com website mention security and "gated communities" as you know there are no real "gated communities" in the UK. Is there something I am missing here?

Hi Graham

I live in Newport, a couple of suburbs closer to the city than Laverton, been there approx 2 years now. Tbh, I wouldn't live in Point Cook, it has no soul, just lots and lots of identikit housing estates - bit like the Twilight-zone, except at rush hour when everyone tries to escape through the single exit point to their estate. Love Newport, it's quiet but still feels part of Melbourne, very child friendly (I have a 18mo) and easy to get to more bustling suburbs like Yarraville or Williamstown. Airport is 25/30 min drive and the CBD is 20 mins on the train. We rent a 3-bed, new-ish townhouse for $475pw, 5 mins walk from the shops and train station.

Hope you find the perfect location you're looking for :-)

Archived