Reapplying for another visa after Class 175, but not sure I will get invited to apply?

flanagaj

Hi,

I currently have a class 175 visa, but it is due to expire in 2 months time. Family issues / timing has never been right for us to move during the visa period. So at age 43, I am thinking of applying before I am 44. If I could get a new visa after that time, the timing would be ideal. Youngest Daughter will be nearly 18 ...

Now since I obtained my class 175 the whole process has changed and I am concerned I will not get an invite to apply. I am software developer who had to go down the RPL route with the ACS as a result of not having an ICT related degree. I am also 43 years of age, so for me to even get 60 points I have to get a 'Superior' IELTS award.

So my question is as follows. If I can only obtain 60 points, is it highly unlikely that I will ever receive a invite to apply. IT programming seems like it is over subscribed, and I suspect there are many more people in the 25-39 age group who come in with much higher than 60 points. Leaving me at the bottom of the queue?

Anyone in the same boat who submitted an ROI, but never got invited?

Thanks

The granting of invitations is objective and is entirely computer based - untouched by human hands so to speak. If you have at least 60 points and a positive, current skills assessment (they are only valid for 3 years), you WILL get an invitation. If your occupation is pro-rated, it may take more than one invitation round to be invited but if you don't lose points for age in the meantime, you will get an invite without too much delay. In the last several rounds, 60 point EOIs have been getting invitations in the very next round. Check it out for yourself:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/SkillSelect/SkillSelect.aspx Select the Invitation rounds tab. 'Visa date of effect' is the date when the youngest successful EOI was submitted.

The granting of invitations is objective and is entirely computer based - untouched by human hands so to speak. If you have at least 60 points and a positive, current skills assessment (they are only valid for 3 years), you WILL get an invitation. If your occupation is pro-rated, it may take more than one invitation round to be invited but if you don't lose points for age in the meantime, you will get an invite without too much delay. In the last several rounds, 60 point EOIs have been getting invitations in the very next round. Check it out for yourself:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/SkillSelect/SkillSelect.aspx Select the Invitation rounds tab. 'Visa date of effect' is the date when the youngest successful EOI was submitted.

That sounds positive. I just need to get 'another' ACS skills asssessment done, and also a 'Superior' IELTS award. Annoying that I don't get any points for having a BSc 1:1 Chemistry degree.

Hi,

I currently have a class 175 visa, but it is due to expire in 2 months time. Family issues / timing has never been right for us to move during the visa period. So at age 43, I am thinking of applying before I am 44. If I could get a new visa after that time, the timing would be ideal. Youngest Daughter will be nearly 18 ...

Now since I obtained my class 175 the whole process has changed and I am concerned I will not get an invite to apply. I am software developer who had to go down the RPL route with the ACS as a result of not having an ICT related degree. I am also 43 years of age, so for me to even get 60 points I have to get a 'Superior' IELTS award.

So my question is as follows. If I can only obtain 60 points, is it highly unlikely that I will ever receive a invite to apply. IT programming seems like it is over subscribed, and I suspect there are many more people in the 25-39 age group who come in with much higher than 60 points. Leaving me at the bottom of the queue?

Anyone in the same boat who submitted an ROI, but never got invited?

Thanks

If you can make 60 points you will get an invite it may just take a little longer as IT is over subscribed. Two things I will say though is the ACS assessment criteria has changed massively in the last year or so and they now deduct years of experience off you.... this is anywhere from 2 years to 8 years depending on what qualifications you hold and their relevance and they only count years after a qualification is gained. Based on how many years you have worked for Vs how much ACS deduct you may not make the 60 points as I assume you would be relying on work experience points.

MY brother did ACS recently. He does not hold any qualifications but worked in the field for 10 years. As he had no qualifications they deducted 8 years of experience off him leaving him leaving him with only 2 years experience that he can claim points for which = no points. So while he got a positive ACS skills assessment he only just scraped through the visa as he got max points for age. Before anything else check ACS and see what you will lose before calculating points in the immigration website as he had a it of a shock :(

Second is once your daughter turns 18 she is only eligible to migrate by being added to your visa as a dependant or she will need to be eligible on her own with her own skill. To be an independent she would need to be in education... I don't know her plans but if she works properly she can not be added as a dependant so my migration purposes it is best she remains in or begins education.

Good luck :)

Ozzydreamer is correct, I have 2 children 18 & 20 who are on my visa but they are in full time education (uni) so are dependant on me & my husband to fund their lifestyle, this we had to prove.

Im not in IT but an OT and am 45, I had to get a regional sponsored visa to get the points so do not give up hope. If in doubt speak to an agent if you feel overwhelmed.

If you can make 60 points you will get an invite it may just take a little longer as IT is over subscribed. Two things I will say though is the ACS assessment criteria has changed massively in the last year or so and they now deduct years of experience off you.... this is anywhere from 2 years to 8 years depending on what qualifications you hold and their relevance and they only count years after a qualification is gained. Based on how many years you have worked for Vs how much ACS deduct you may not make the 60 points as I assume you would be relying on work experience points.

MY brother did ACS recently. He does not hold any qualifications but worked in the field for 10 years. As he had no qualifications they deducted 8 years of experience off him leaving him leaving him with only 2 years experience that he can claim points for which = no points. So while he got a positive ACS skills assessment he only just scraped through the visa as he got max points for age. Before anything else check ACS and see what you will lose before calculating points in the immigration website as he had a it of a shock :(

Ok thanks.

I have just read my original ACS letter and although I held 4 Java programming jobs from 07/98 through till my application in 07/07 the letter states. "Based on the experience ... the applicant has 12 months experience in Java"

Oh dear. So if I extrapolate that up, I don't see how I can ever get the 15 points I need for the part outlined below.

"In skilled employment for at least eight and up to 10 years (of the past 10 years)"

Ok thanks. How do I go about deducing what the ACS will award me and whether I will get the full 10 points from them. Without 10 points from the ACS then I am hung out to dry?

I was hoping that because I had a positive assessment 6 years ago, that it would just be a matter of course to get another positive assessment. The points calculator states

"In skilled employment for at least eight and up to 10 years (of the past 10 years)" - I tick this box as I have been a Java programmer since 1998. Is this linked to the ACS letter or just your references?

"An award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation" - This is the key point and states it's worth 10 points. Can you explain how your Brother got a positive ACS but no points?

Thanks

No sadly it is not so easy to just reapply any more. They make a 'date deemed skilled' now and you can only claim for experience after that date. It is linked to ACS and not just my references. He got no points as he has no qualification so went down direct RPL route. For this ACS deduct 8 years. He worked for 10 years which left him with only 2 years which you can not claim points for. As he has no qualification he got no points for quals either. He waited for the extra 1 year til he had 3 years of experience to claim 5 points. Coupled with age, IELTS and state sponsorship he just made the 60 points.

Here is the link to ACS criteria. Where it says years required this is what is deducted.

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf

You can see what I mean for my brother under the very last 1 where is says N/A N/A 8 years.

I am assuming yours is the one just above for non ICT or higher which is 6 years. So they should deduct 6 years from your total years of experience....you can claim points for any remaining years after that. If you worked since 1998 as you said in the last post I assume that means you still have 8 years so can claim full work experience points?

Now as my brother doesn't have qualifications and he is the only real experience I have of ACS my next bit I am not 100 percent certain on... as for what happens to your qualification. Under the new system ACS I believe will not recognise or assess your degree as it is non ICT..... however I do believe applicants in this case are referred to and apply to VETASSESS to assess their non-ICT degrees and give points test advise. If VETASSESS assess your degree as comparable to an AQF degree you can claim 15 education points and 10 if they deem it comparable to an AQF diploma. ICT people can further clarify the qualification bit but that is what I have seen in the many ICT related posts on these forums. It Is all assessed separately now.

No sadly it is not so easy to just reapply any more. They make a 'date deemed skilled' now and you can only claim for experience after that date. It is linked to ACS and not just my references. He got no points as he has no qualification so went down direct RPL route. For this ACS deduct 8 years. He worked for 10 years which left him with only 2 years which you can not claim points for. As he has no qualification he got no points for quals either. He waited for the extra 1 year til he had 3 years of experience to claim 5 points. Coupled with age, IELTS and state sponsorship he just made the 60 points.

Here is the link to ACS criteria. Where it says years required this is what is deducted.

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf

You can see what I mean for my brother under the very last 1 where is says N/A N/A 8 years.

I am assuming yours is the one just above for non ICT or higher which is 6 years. So they should deduct 6 years from your total years of experience....you can claim points for any remaining years after that. If you worked since 1998 as you said in the last post I assume that means you still have 8 years so can claim full work experience points?

Now as my brother doesn't have qualifications and he is the only real experience I have of ACS my next bit I am not 100 percent certain on... as for what happens to your qualification. Under the new system ACS I believe will no recognise or assess your degree as it is non ICT..... however I do believe applicant in this case apply to VETASSESS to assess their non-ICT degrees and give points test advise. If VETASSESS assess your degree as comparable to an AQF degree you can claim 15 education point and 10 if the deem it comparable to an AQF diploma. ICT people can further clarify the qualification bit but that is what I have seen in the many ICT related posts on these forums.

Thanks. Just spoke with the ACS, and told them I had a positive assessment back in 2009. I have just been informed that in 2009 the ACS was still a paper based application and they have none of the original documentation. TO save all of the headache, I think my best option is to just get on a plane and get to Aus before the end of April 2015.

Thanks. Just spoke with the ACS, and told them I had a positive assessment back in 2009. I have just been informed that in 2009 the ACS was still a paper based application and they have none of the original documentation. TO save all of the headache, I think my best option is to just get on a plane and get to Aus before the end of April 2015.[/quote

To be honest I would. As rushed as it is the new ACS system sucks and is a bit of an unfair joke really. To work many years just to scramble for points is out of order. Plus by the time you have paid ACS and VETASSESS for 2 assessments and done IELTS you will have shed out a pretty penny for the privilege :( I would keep the visa you have. Plus it will be tricky with your daughter in limbo age. Plus with IT being so over subscribed nobody is sure where IT stands when the skills list is updated in July. Go now and be free lol :) Good luck and enjoy Oz :)

That sounds positive. I just need to get 'another' ACS skills asssessment done, and also a 'Superior' IELTS award. Annoying that I don't get any points for having a BSc 1:1 Chemistry degree.

You do get points for your BSc 1:1 Chemistry degree if it's assessed as equivalent to an Australian degree - if it's from a UK uni or a decent uni anywhere else it probably will be seen as equivalent. It doesn't need to be in any way related to your nominated occupation.

Thanks. Just spoke with the ACS, and told them I had a positive assessment back in 2009. I have just been informed that in 2009 the ACS was still a paper based application and they have none of the original documentation. TO save all of the headache, I think my best option is to just get on a plane and get to Aus before the end of April 2015.

I agree that your best option is to come to Australia while your 175 is still valid for entry, particularly as your youngest can only be included on a new application after the age of 18 if she is still fully dependent on you. And have you looked at how much a new 189 visa will cost? Just for you, your partner and one minor child, the VAC alone is now $6160 - a very big difference to what it cost you for your 175.

On the subject of an ACS skills assessment though, at the time you applied for your last one, specialities (e.g. Java) were nominated on the occupation list and you needed to have your experience in a specific one of them assessed in order to be eligible to apply for a visa, completely ignoring experience on any other platform. That has now all changed and if for example, you nominate Developer Programmer as your occupation, experience as a Java programmer can be added to programming experience on any other platform as long as it is at a professional level. You have worked for a further 7 years since your last assessment so all (or most) of that experience should be claimable.

Archived