Age deadline for EOI

Selina Smith

Hi there,

We wish to apply for a 189 visa as I am a qualified teacher. I understand to the process is:

Positive Skills assessment with AITSL

IELTS test (I need the extra points)

Expression of interest

Invitation to apply for visa

My query is about my age, I am currently 32 and will be turning 33 later this year so will drop some much needed points. Is the age cut off when you make an EOI, when you receive an invitation or when the visa is granted?

Thank you you for any information x

Hi there,

We wish to apply for a 189 visa as I am a qualified teacher. I understand to the process is:

Positive Skills assessment with AITSL

IELTS test (I need the extra points)

Expression of interest

Invitation to apply for visa

My query is about my age, I am currently 32 and will be turning 33 later this year so will drop some much needed points. Is the age cut off when you make an EOI, when you receive an invitation or when the visa is granted?

Thank you you for any information x

Currently, you will get 30 points for your age. This will drop to 25 points when you turn 33 years old.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx (goto Points test -> How points are awarded).

The points you get are that at the time of invite. How is your points breakdown looking right now?

When is your birthday? If it's towards the end of this year, you may still have time.

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently on 65 points and I know I could be invited on 60 but would rather have as many as possible. My birthday is mid July so know I am pushing it. I have all the information for the skills assessment ready to go (although waiting time is 10 weeks once they receive everything) I just need to get approval from AITSL before proceeding with anything else. Xx

I wouldn't worry. 60 points is fine. With 60 points, there's currently 1 to 2 weeks wait for an invite on 60 points.

Even if you had 65 points, it'd only knock days of your wait. Just concentrate on getting your skills assessment and IELTS.

Be mindful of the fact though that 1st July is the start of a new immigration year where rules and/or occupation ceilings can change (they don't always).

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently on 65 points and I know I could be invited on 60 but would rather have as many as possible. My birthday is mid July so know I am pushing it. I have all the information for the skills assessment ready to go (although waiting time is 10 weeks once they receive everything) I just need to get approval from AITSL before proceeding with anything else. Xx

If you are serious I think you should book your IELTS sooner rather than later just in case you don't get the score you need.

Got all the info ready to send to AITSL this week and realised my passport is in my maiden name but my PGCE certificate and application are in my married name. It states on the AITSL website that the names need to match which means I'll have to apply for a new passport first (I thought this name difference might pop up at some point during the visa process). Applied for a new passport online last night and need to send them some documents so this puts me back by a few weeks x

Archived