Working skilled temp visa HELP

emmajane051

Hi all

just wandered if anyone knows the answer to this question please me my husband and two children are looking to emergrate to Townsville QLD as my dad lives there and my husband is a diesel mechanic which is on the australian skilled perm visa list but when we have looked on the queensland skills lost it doesn't seem to be on there :( we would have a company sponsor who is based in townsville does this mean we can't apply for that visa now as it's not currently on list for queensland so would we have to go for the perm residency visa instead?

Thankyou to anyone who can help

emma

I think you may have misunderstood the differences between visas.

An occupation only needs to be on a state list (e.g. Queensland) if the permanent visa you want to apply for is a state sponsored, points tested 190 visa. No employer sponsorship is involved for that visa.

If you have sponsorship by an eligible company in Townsville (which is a regional area), one permanent visa you could consider is an employer sponsored subclass 187 RSMS visa which is not points tested and is not associated with a state list of occupations in any way. On a 187, you must live and work in a regional area for 2 years and must also stay with the sponsoring employer for 2 years.

Then there is the best visa of all which is a 189 Independent visa. Your husband's occupation is on the SOL so is eligible for that visa and if he can get a positive skills assessment and a score of 60 points on the points test, that is the visa he should consider. It costs the same as a 187 visa but unlike a 187, he would not be tied to a a regional location for 2 years and would be able to work in any occupation for any employer.

See the TRA website for information on skills assessment which will be required for either a 187 or 189 visa.

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Offshore/Pages/default.aspx

Added after writing the above...

I've just read through your other thread and I see that it's possible that you may be able to get a Resident Return visa. In view of that and the several visa alternatives you may have, I really think you should have at least an initial consultation with a good migration agent (e.g. Go Matilda or one of the other agents who post regularly on PIO) to sort out the best approach for you and your family. An initial consultation won't cost much and it could save a heap of time and money in the long run.

Archived