Question re Mental Health and Visa Application

reutmark

I would value areply to the below.

I know one has togo through a medical as one condition of being accepted to emigrate.

A friend of mine had some depression treatment 5 years ago in terms ofcounselling and medication and after a 5 year clear period he is currentlyhaving some more counselling etc. Both episodes are around work related stress.

If he wanted to emigrate and at the time of applying he was still undergoingtreatment in terms of say counselling or anti depressants or say he hadcompleted treatment some year or so in the past prior to his application thenwould this bar him from moving to Australia in terms of his application beingturned down on medical grounds due to mental health?

He is not violent at all and it is just treatment for lowmood/depression.....although he did make 2 "cry for help" attempts onhis life 5 years ago and one recently with pills ...but not serious attempts...more a cry for help....

He has not yet submitted an application to emigrate and would not be doing sofor at least another 1 to 2 years so impossible to say at that stage if he willstill be having his current treatment.

Or are the authorities in doing the medical more concerned with physical conditions like cancer etc (as this potentially costs the Aus medical system in money terms a lot more thana mental health issue)

If he declares everything on his forms honestly is he likely to pass themedical and not be barred on mental health grounds?

He is physicallyin good health

Thanks for replies on this difficult and sensitive matter...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

I have known many members get their visa with a history of depression. I think what they will look at is if they are a risk to themselves or members of the public and will they be able to work.

If you want a good migration agent who deals with a number of medical issues and has one of the ex panel doctors on his team then contact George Lombard (just use the search button and you will find him on here).

Good luck and please try not to worry. I got in and I had cancer.

Archived